Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Arrow weight for elk Kinetic energy

Rockyelk

My son and I have harvested 4 elk with a bow in the last 4 years. Problem is we have had very little or no blood at all. We both use fixed blade 125 gr. Broadheads and our arrow weights are at 8.9 GPI. Question is should we step up to an arrow that has 10 or 11 GPI to increase our Kinetic energy punching power for elk? Does anyone out there have good advice for better blood trails on elk?

I am of the opinion that blood trail is increased by good shot placement and having 2 holes for blood to pump from. If your arrow isn't making an exit hole on a broadside shot, then maybe you need more arrow. A frontal shot hardly ever has an exit wound and there can be a lot of blood pumping from it. If you are hitting high on a broadside shot, I could see little or no blood trails.

My arrow weight is ~510g @ 270ft/second. On a good shot, I feel confident I am getting 2 holes.

I agree with the kinetic energy theory however my arrows weigh 425g. The bottom line is I would shoot as heavy as you can...not as light (read fast).

Momentum is more important than KE, though they are related. Bump your arrow weight up to help punch through. This is the reason traditional bowhunters use such heavy arrows.

Heavier heavier heavier. Use weighted inserts if you have to. I'm shooting 504 grain arrows and still get respectable speed at 284fps

50 grains of brass out front will help out for sure.

It’ll increase your KE, and help your groupings more than likely.

Reactions: CiK
My total arrow weight with the 125gr. Broadhead weighs 428 gr. Our shots have been perfect broadside shots, but only punching through one side and not both. I have looking at the Full Metal Jacket 400 @ 10.2 GPI. Which would bring m up to 465g or go to to FMJ 340 @ 11.3GPI and be at 497gr. Total. Any suggestions???20180917_100858.jpg

I use the the 340 11.3 FMJs. I love them. I just didn't wanna plug them. Those arrows are great. Just don't do a bunch of 3D shooting with them. Also they just came out with the FMJ T64s. They expensive but solve all your problems

Agree with the above posts. Go a bit heavier - within reason. As arrow weight goes up, you will quickly find that keeping decent FOC requires upsizing the head or adding weight, which is a tell-tale sign that the move towards overly light heads was not necessarily in the interest of big game pass-throughs, although it does look good on the chrono.

I hope in my day to see more archery aficionados come back down to earth and start using normal sized vanes, big broadheads and heavy arrows, aimed at animals that are significantly closer than 50 yards.

Last edited:
In my limited experience, the shots higher up the body tend to not produce great blood trails. That was my first thought when reading your initial post, and then the picture of the elk you posted shows a shot above mid height. Deadly shot for sure, just one that tends towards poor blood trails.

Did you need a blood trail with that shot (in the picture you shared)? That looks like it probably got both lungs and that guy didn't go very far. I don't shoot particularly heavy arrows (very similar to your current set-up) and I have had complete pass-throughs on 2 elk and 2 others where the arrow went into the far shoulder and then the broken shaft probably contributed more damage, but none of those elk went more than maybe 100 yds (very little or no tracking required).

Heavier arrows such as the FMJs you mentioned are helpful for momentum, however if you're shooting a 125g head be sure to check the arrow spine chart for your arrow length, point weight and draw weight

I agree ...go a bit heavier. I like minimum of 500 grains and most years I closer to 550.

In the process of building my elk arrow for this year right now thinking the game plan is RIP TKO in 250 spine cut @ 30 inches. With 100gr insert from ethics, a 125 or 150 grain head (thinking maybe iron will or Magnus ). 3-4 blazers and a nocturnal nock. Should put right in that 550ish range.

Im thinking like Frenchy said that shot might have been at the top of the lungs...not producing the best blood trail. This bull only bled 6 drops in the first 40 yds. Then bedded at 300 yds from where the shot happened. Problem is we kicked him up and he walked over the top down into the next draw where we found him doing sweeps several hours later. Perseverance paid off on this dream bull!20180917_184217.jpg

I use the the 340 11.3 FMJs. I love them. I just didn't wanna plug them. Those arrows are great. Just don't do a bunch of 3D shooting with them. Also they just came out with the FMJ T64s. They expensive but solve all your problems
Are you using a 100 grain or 125 grain head?

A good cut on contact head is very important in my opinion. Take a look at day six arrows. They are doing some interesting things with there outsert stuff. I’m probably going to switch over.

Rockyelks shot placement is right on the border of my outer-limits of where i would want to lay an arrow. I lost a 330 bull last yr in MT because of poor shot placement/not figuring in steep downhill .. mine was a tish higher, complete pass thru and no blood. I watched the bull move a whole canyon over and then start bugling again.. i run around 550 gr. setup.. i believe to run as heavy as accuracy lets you... while bareshaft tuning! (Out to 50 yrds)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back