Caribou Gear

arrow selection

Rjschwertz66

So my unit 77 3rd season hunt got screwed cause of this damn covid-19. I was lucky enough to be invited along with a guy and his buddy I work with on a archery hunt. I've been working on the longer range shots but my comfortable range is 60 yards. My question is what spine arrow do you veterans recommend and I'm a fixed blade guy do I need to finally admit defeat and switch to expendables.

As noted above there are so many factors. What I would say is take a look at this site and then think about your draw length and bows IBO to figure out what is realistic.

I like to find that sweet spot where my arrow weight and speed create the most efficiency. I am only 5’8 so my draw length works against me. I will never see 300fps and still have an arrow that is heavy enough to have good momentum and high kinetic energy. So for me that sweet spot is 478grains at 280fps. I was able to achieve that with a turbo cam hoyt rx3

my next step was then the arrow. I could get to 478 grains so many ways. I am a firm believer in FOC and wanted to be in that 16-18% range. I could simply have gotten an fmj arrow and thrown a 100grain tip and been close to my desired weight but that didn’t do what I wanted. As I went down the rabbit hole with my arrow build I also Wanted a wrap and 4 fletchings from aae. All of this was adding weight and in some cases to the back not the front of my arrow.

In the end I settled with an easton hexx arrow bc at 6.9 gpi, I had the freedom to add weight where I wanted. I have a 75grain insert, 125 fixed blade head, 4 fletched AAE max stealth vanes, a wrap and nock and my arrow is what I think is the most ideal set up for my draw length hunting elk, moose andhonestly pretty much any game I want bc my bow is producing around .59 slugs of momentum and about 83ft/lbs of energy.

as for spine I am at a 330 spine bc I have a turbo cam, and my arrow spine is a little stiffer than advertise because I cut them so short at 27.25”

sorry for the rant but there is some insight as to what works for me hunting elk. Check out the archers advantage program too. You can do so much from spine selection or arrow configuration to sight tapes etc.

Awesome insight nolanjs55 thank you. im a whitetail guy ive never put that much thought into arrow selection and weight. Ill be sure to check out the website you posted. Thanks again!

As noted above there are so many factors. What I would say is take a look at this site and then think about your draw length and bows IBO to figure out what is realistic.

I like to find that sweet spot where my arrow weight and speed create the most efficiency. I am only 5’8 so my draw length works against me. I will never see 300fps and still have an arrow that is heavy enough to have good momentum and high kinetic energy. So for me that sweet spot is 478grains at 280fps. I was able to achieve that with a turbo cam hoyt rx3

my next step was then the arrow. I could get to 478 grains so many ways. I am a firm believer in FOC and wanted to be in that 16-18% range. I could simply have gotten an fmj arrow and thrown a 100grain tip and been close to my desired weight but that didn’t do what I wanted. As I went down the rabbit hole with my arrow build I also Wanted a wrap and 4 fletchings from aae. All of this was adding weight and in some cases to the back not the front of my arrow.

In the end I settled with an easton hexx arrow bc at 6.9 gpi, I had the freedom to add weight where I wanted. I have a 75grain insert, 125 fixed blade head, 4 fletched AAE max stealth vanes, a wrap and nock and my arrow is what I think is the most ideal set up for my draw length hunting elk, moose andhonestly pretty much any game I want bc my bow is producing around .59 slugs of momentum and about 83ft/lbs of energy.

as for spine I am at a 330 spine bc I have a turbo cam, and my arrow spine is a little stiffer than advertise because I cut them so short at 27.25”

sorry for the rant but there is some insight as to what works for me hunting elk. Check out the archers advantage program too. You can do so much from spine selection or arrow configuration to sight tapes etc.
+1
g.png

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back