PEAX Equipment

Armor piercing bullets??

pointingdogsrule

So I am NOT much of a gun brain. The VP of the US stated that the armor piercing bullets were used in the Texas Police shooting. Are these any different then FMJ bullets? Can they be bought most anywhere? For those of you that shoot them.... what is the advantage vs, regular type ammo? Note: most of my knowledge is with FMJ in my .223 .... cheap to shoot or a polymer tipped bullet for antelope or P-dogs.

Thanks in advance
good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
I think FMJ has a jacket over a lead core, while armor piercing is going to use a hardened metal such as tungsten in place of the soft lead core.

full metal jacket (fmj) bullets and armored piercing bullets are usually considered one and the same by most people not familiar with the topic. So my guess is the guy was using fmj. The advantage to fmj is they are cheap. Can buy a few thousand rounds of surplus ammo for a few hundred bucks. The are not legal for game in my state but if you like throwing ammo down range its quite a bit more affordable.

I believe the firearm used in TX was an AK74 variant and shot the 5.45x39 cartridge. The standard mil. surplus ammo uses a mild steel core bullet. This IS NOT an armor piercing bullet. Armor piercing ammo in small caliber bullets has a hardened steel core. That "hardened" part is important.

And yes you can buy armor piercing bullets in some calibers.

I believe the firearm used in TX was an AK74 variant and shot the 5.45x39 cartridge. The standard mil. surplus ammo uses a mild steel core bullet. This IS NOT an armor piercing bullet. Armor piercing ammo in small caliber bullets has a hardened steel core. That "hardened" part is important.

And yes you can buy armor piercing bullets in some calibers.

I read it was an SKS that was under the curio and relic status. I knew it wasn't and AR-15 because the news has been mum on the type of gun. The reality is depending on the type of body armor in question, many long gun calibers will go through.

I read it was an SKS that was under the curio and relic status. I knew it wasn't and AR-15 because the news has been mum on the type of gun. The reality is depending on the type of body armor in question, many long gun calibers will go through.

Initial reports were that it was an SKS but Dallas PD released pictures of the rifle with the statement that it is an Izhmash-Saiga 5.45 mm, which is a recent production AK74. And you are correct any modern center fire rifle round will penetrate the soft body armor that police generally wear.

Body armor is designed to defeat specific velocities. Most body armor worn by Police are levels 1, 2, or 3 which will defeat "some" handgun calibers. Level 1 is the thinnest and lightest to wear, but only stops nominal velocity rounds, like .38 spec, etc. Level 3 is most popular, and will defeat most handgun calibers. Most of my Dept wears level 3, and SRT wear additional plate inserts to allow 3A protection. When rifle velocities are encountered, we use level 4 body armor, which is much heavier. It provides adequate protection for calibers up to, and including 30/06 Armor Piercing. It is so heavy and uncomfortable, it cannot be worn on a regular day to day basis. We usually only use it on SWAT Rolls when we have a barricaded subject armed with a shoulder weapon. It also includes a level 4 helmet with a clear faceplate, but the helmet alone weighs 40 pounds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back