PEAX Equipment

Arizona with 10 points

streamer

Well here we go again trying to draw my elk tag in Arizona I am at 10 points now and looking into a late rifle hunt in either 1 or 27. Should have a decent chance at these. I don’t see a muzzleloader hunt that I could draw yet. Would really like to hold out for a good one. Am I looking at the right hunt and area or is there something out there that I am missing. It’s been a long wait for this. Thanks for any input

I have also been reading about the decline of animals due to fires taking habitat and wolves from New Mexico wandering how much of this is true but must play some factors on the elk

With 10 points I think you’re still a few years behind both of these units.
I think you needed at least 11 to have a chance to draw last year.
but there is always the random chance.

Yeah, I don’t think you’ll draw 1 in the initial draw. Probably won’t draw 27 either. Most likely, you’ll have to get lucky in the random pass. Unit 1 took 12 last year to have a chance in the initial draw and they’ve cut back the tags for 2020. I think 27 is seeing some tag cuts, as well, this year. You’re getting close, though!! Good luck

You'll likely only have about 5% draw odds in those units this year.

About 3 more years for 27. Add another year or two onto that for 1. Of course, you could always get lucky in the random draw. Good luck!

I have also been reading about the decline of animals due to fires taking habitat and wolves from New Mexico wandering how much of this is true but must play some factors on the elk
The Wolves you are hearing about are from Az.,between Az. and N.M. we have approx.117 wolves now.
Fires and Wolves have very little ,if any effect on the Elk population.The Elk can adjust to any unforssen circumstance. 〽💥

The wolves are mexican wolves, they don't prey on elk. They are more of an eastern coyote size.

I am pretty sure we saw one of those wolves on my son's elk hunt. I at first thought is was a coyote due to the size, but after looking at it, I am pretty sure it was a wolf.

And yeah, unless you are lucky you are going to need more points for 1 and probably 27 as well.

Holy crap this point creep is getting brutal. Where do you see the minimum points to draw stats. Toprut only seeing 2017 stars. Maybe I’ll draw when I’m 50 in three years. Maybe I need to put the bow back into my hands. Would just like to up my percentage odds of killing with rifle or muzzleloader

Pay for Toprut and you’ll see the 2019 draw stats as well as the point pools. With as many points as you have I’d stay the course. I have 1 less point than you and some tough decisions.

Do you have your Hunter Ed point?

Hold out if You are young or Middle age. Its worth it. Those 2 units have better Elk hunting than most units in any other State. To Rub it in I got an early rifle hunt in unit 1 in 1996 with only 3 points as a Res. Next early tag took me 18 years tho. Keep at it from coming from a 42 year AZ. Resident..............Good Luck...BOB!

Unit 1 and 27 are both good late bull hunts. I have hunted both several times. Keep after it, you will eventually draw. The wait will be worth it.

Last time i was in 27 late season, although not hunting elk seemed like most of the better bulls were pretty broken up. Might have been the year though, who knows. Just something to keep in mind.

If I were you I’d try to get an early rifle tag in the random draw until you’re guaranteed to draw in the late hunt (was 12 points for unit 27 in 2019). You can get the draw reports on the gf website. Under hunting, big game draw, draw process (down a ways on the page) , then select 2019 bonus pass by hunt number (make sure you look at the 2019 hunt numbers.).

I looked it up just because it got me curious and according to Huntin Fool you stand 40-50 % chance of drawing those tags this year. Idk how that compares to Go Hunt as I don’t have it but it would be worth you money to invest in one of those services.

Pay for Toprut and you’ll see the 2019 draw stats as well as the point pools. With as many points as you have I’d stay the course. I have 1 less point than you and some tough decisions.

Do you have your Hunter Ed point?
No on the education point don’t have time to go there just for that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back