Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Arizona Unit 9

Swinemaster

Rookie Pronghorn hunter here. I somehow lucked out and got drawn for Arizona Unit 9 archery. I have hunted AZ for the past 5 years but never up that far north. I plan to do a few scouting trips throughout the summer. And I've been studying my Flatline Map of the Unit. Google Earth isn't helping much for me. Just because of the landscape in this area.

I know guys come on these sites hoping for coordinates but I was just hoping for a basic strategy discussion. I generally think that my best chance would be to sit water but I know from Deer hunting in AZ that the monsoons are kicking in late August. So that seems to be futile. Are they starting to rut in late August? Are some of the bow mounted decoy options worth it? East or West side of Unit? It seems to me from my research that there is a lot of checkerboard areas of public and private. But it also seems like public access to private is OK as long as it is not posted. Could that be?

I feel really lucky to have drawn this tag so I'm going to give it my best effort. I've put off planning my deer and waterfowl hunts to focus on a Pronghorn. Any discussion would be greatly appreciated.

If u can use trail cameras, do it. Don't overlook waterholes in the trees. I think AZGFD has an agreement with the Babbit ranch where u can hunt it. Don't think u can use cameras on the Babbit ranch. Good luck and post pics.

A lot of the area is on the CO-bar ranch owed by the Babbitt family. Access is allowed but no cameras are allowed. FYI. GJ.

Thank you both! I need more cameras. I have about 10 set up on my lease back in Missouri. lol To expound on your info, when you say waterholes in the trees, are you talking about a general area of the Unit? I'm eager to get out there but most of the area that AZGFD and other sources say is best doesn't look like there are many trees.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back