Arizona Unit #9 Late Rifle Hunt

BuckRut

I have decided to start the nonresident hunting gig this year and am beginning to wade through starting to figure out some of the units. My question about Unit #9 is in regards to the late rifle hunt and why the odds are so much higher. Is it just the difficulty of finding the elk or are the larger bulls no longer in the unit that time of year? I live in Montana and have no problem hunting elk every year so my out of state goals are really to hunt units with a reasonable chance of taking a 340" or bigger bull. Any information in this regard would be much appreciated.

My question about Unit #9 is in regards to the late rifle hunt and why the odds are so much higher.

Are you asking whether the odds are higher compared to the early hunts in unit 9, or are you asking why the odds are higher than other late hunts?

My main concern is the drastic increase in many of the high profile units between the early seasons and the late seasons. My experience here in Montana has been that a discrepancy that large can often be due to the animals not being in the unit during those times. For example we used to have a late season tag near Gardiner that was a very coveted tag and I believe the unit was OTC for the main season because the elk had not migrated out of Yellowstone yet. I have hunted elk successfully here in Montana for 20 years now so I am not as concerned with elk being hard to find but if the bulls aren't there I can't find them.

To compare the archery hunt vs the late rifle hunt for unit 9, this year there will be 100 archery tags issued for a two week season vs 400 late bull tags issued for a one week season. The last time AZGFD posted estimated success rates in the pronghorn and elk brochure was in 2017, and it listed the 2015 success rates as 77% on the archery tag and 30% on the late bull tag. A 4-fold increase in tags and a success rate of less than half would in itself bring the draw odds up dramatically for late hunts you'd think. And make no mistake about it there aren't a whole lot of guys in that 30% success that are pulling out 340" bulls, and that's reflected in the draw odds. Have you spent much time on Google Earth looking at unit 9 specifically? Not the most glassable country you'll find in Arizona, which can make the late hunt pretty tough on anyone regardless of experience and past success.

That being said there's no reason to believe you don't have a chance to shoot a bull that size on that hunt. From my experience the average hunter in Arizona is significantly lazier than in Montana or Colorado or Wyoming (though the top level hunters are very determined and skilled). Perhaps with a little sweat equity you could get it done. I guess it depends on what your definition of "reasonable chance" is.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to upgrade my OnX membership in the near future to start doing some scouting of the country in a lot of these places. Since I am just starting to apply I am sure I have a while before I have to worry to much about actually drawing a tag. This year my focus is mostly concentrated on figuring out each states draw and application processes.

Unit 9 has a great elk herd and I don't believe that they migrate very much - maybe a little into and out of the park but they have to come out because there isn't water in the park. The cover in the unit is very thick and there are not many places where you can gain elevation to glass into the cover.

Early hunts (archery, early rifle/ML) are amazing as they have the benefit of the rut - high success rates and large bulls. During the late rifle the same bulls are around but they are in the thick cover and seem to like the flat country where they are super difficult to find. Most encounters with bulls are quick so judging size can be a challenge. Many of the hunting magazines say the late rifle is not a good hunt for trophy hunters.

If you have a bunch of points already you'd do best with an early hunt, if you don't have as many you may wish to hold out for a late hunt in more mountainous terrain.

You'll be hard pressed to find a 340 bull on almost any late hunt in AZ. Couple exceptions but the average late bull hunt you should shoot the first bull you see.

Jay scott podcast talking to steve chappell, listen to it.

A few quotes from it:

“Even in our better units 350 bulls are not common anymore”

“People need to understand…Arizona trophy quality has slipped, age class has slipped.”

Quotes for the late hunt:

“Friends don’t let friends apply for late hunts in Arizona.”

“Don’t hunt flat units, or units with only mountains where the big bulls stay high and you can’t weed them out of the timber, like 7W.”

He lists his top units for both archery and rifle. Unit 9 is not among his favorites for the late hunt, I assume due to the above quote regarding terrain.

I got late rifle bull unit 9 this year as well. I got the same draw 3 years ago and only saw one group of cows the last day as we were leaving and my feeling was that it was due to being hot and full moon. Well it looks like we will have a full moon again this year. Honestly, I didn't know how to go about the hunt, I pre-scouted with OnX and a couple weekend trips. When the hunt started I felt great, was in the NE area of the unit and I felt like sign was everywhere... But no Elk, only mule deer! Didn't really even hear shots and definitely no calls. I am scratching my head as to what to change this year. Would love some pointers.

Here is some information for you:

Best Early Season hunts for AZ Elk in my opinion: Units 10, 9, 27, 1, 3C, 23.
Best Late Season hunts in my opinion: Units 23, 2C, 1, 27

Also in my opinion Unit 23 is the cream of the crop, but for a Non-resident with zero points the odds of drawing a early archery tag are .01% and for a late rifle tag they are 0.10%. Let's say you had 5 points, even with 5 points your odds of drawing a tag in one of these is below 1%. All the units listed above have produced big bulls and they still do, however the chance for a Non-resident to draw tags with 0 points in any of these units is zero to none. Even for residents like me most of these units listed above are pie in the sky units.

Do not let these statistics bring ya down, I would certainly encourage you to start building points and maybe even apply, you might get lucky! Arizona is an awesome state to hunt in, and if you want to hunt here and enjoy what this state has to offer and not wait 10 years, I would suggest maybe looking for a unit that has a better draws odds, maybe slightly smaller bulls, and start applying!

Here is some information for you:

Best Early Season hunts for AZ Elk in my opinion: Units 10, 9, 27, 1, 3C, 23.
Best Late Season hunts in my opinion: Units 23, 2C, 1, 27

Also in my opinion Unit 23 is the cream of the crop, but for a Non-resident with zero points the odds of drawing a early archery tag are .01% and for a late rifle tag they are 0.10%. Let's say you had 5 points, even with 5 points your odds of drawing a tag in one of these is below 1%. All the units listed above have produced big bulls and they still do, however the chance for a Non-resident to draw tags with 0 points in any of these units is zero to none. Even for residents like me most of these units listed above are pie in the sky units.

Do not let these statistics bring ya down, I would certainly encourage you to start building points and maybe even apply, you might get lucky! Arizona is an awesome state to hunt in, and if you want to hunt here and enjoy what this state has to offer and not wait 10 years, I would suggest maybe looking for a unit that has a better draws odds, maybe slightly smaller bulls, and start applying!
I have 5 points but still apply knowing it's unlikely and will get a point. But you never know. My friend drew a great Utah elk tag with 7 pts. Go hunt said there was a 5% chance

Back