Arizona Unit 23 Late Archery Elk

gwhunter

I'll be solo hunting Arizona Unit 23 late archery elk this fall (2023). If any Hunttalkers are looking for someone to share camp with and/or to have someone close by with your contact information to help your family back at home feel more comfortable, don't hesitate to reach out. I know my wife will feel better if she knows there is another name/face/number she can put with me being solo. (I'm Type 1 Diabetic so she understandably worries about me)
I'm planning to be out there for the entirety of the season so even if its just for a couple of days to touch base and eat dinner together at the end of the day I'm down for that all the way to hunting together. Just let me know. I'll be driving from Michigan.

Last edited:
I wont be in Az, but I am a type 1 diabetic too. Anything you do inparticular other than carry a big bag of candy and glucogon kit? I have issues with long glassing seasons sending it up and long pack outs/hikes driving it down.

I wont be in Az, but I am a type 1 diabetic too. Anything you do inparticular other than carry a big bag of candy and glucogon kit? I have issues with long glassing seasons sending it up and long pack outs/hikes driving it down.
Pick your poison I guess. I try to eat carbs in AM before hiking to the spot and at dinner when I am at camp. Protein in between helps keep it steady with plenty of fruit snacks to balance out the lows. It is a constant cat-and-mouse game.

Pick your poison I guess. I try to eat carbs in AM before hiking to the spot and at dinner when I am at camp. Protein in between helps keep it steady with plenty of fruit snacks to balance out the lows. It is a constant cat-and-mouse game.
I pack lots of fruit snacks and rice crispy treats. The rice crispy treats are light and crushable.

I might crash your part of your hunt. I did 22S solo last year. I wish I had hunting partner to guide me in on the bulls.

I pack lots of fruit snacks and rice crispy treats. The rice crispy treats are light and crushable.
I use an insulin pump and when I anticipate strenuous hiking or walking, I immediately turn off my basal rate on my pump. I also carry ProBar Bolt Energy Chews to regulate my low sugar (link). I've found they help to even out my sugar with a slower release (albeit 20 minutes instead of 10 like a fruit snack) but if I see myself starting to trend low, I can eat 1 and then just keeping poppping them every 15-20 minutes until it levels out or gets to where I need it to be. Then I can turn my basal rate back on about 20-30 minutes before I finish my hike and then just keep an eye on the trend for an hour or so before going to sleep. I also stash a pack of those Bolt chews in the pocket next to my head in my tent.

22 and 23 late archery are not easy hunts, but I did see and hesitate too long on a Texas heart shot at 15 yards on one of the biggest bulls of my life. You really need to scout these units and pattern the elk if you want to be successful.

I live in Arizona and have hunted 22 3 times and learned a lot about hunting the elk in those areas on the late hunts. I could have taken elk but either passed or blew it on some other opportunities with good bulls. Not sure if I can receive PMs yet because I am new but give it a shot and I can try to help you out, might even head up there if I'm not busy.

I live in Arizona and have hunted 22 3 times and learned a lot about hunting the elk in those areas on the late hunts. I could have taken elk but either passed or blew it on some other opportunities with good bulls. Not sure if I can receive PMs yet because I am new but give it a shot and I can try to help you out, might even head up there if I'm not busy.
Thanks for the offer. You're a little short on messages to get PMs. I'll send you some in a week or so once you get more messages under your belt!

I'm not sure how I'm new to this platform. I have my Instagram which is outdoorphinatic.

I'm not sure how I'm new to this platform. I have my Instagram which is outdoorphinatic.
I don't have an Instagram. Stick around for a bit and contribute for a couple days and your post count will get high enough that you can send PMs.

I'm still up in the air on which area to focus on. I've received a couple of conflicting recommendations on areas feasible for stalking and glassing(not gonna name spots after the recommendation from @Dsnow9 when I mentioned the unit number). Also getting conflicting info on water availability too. I'm probably (almost a for sure at this point) going to fly out for 4-5 days in October to do some boots on the ground scouting to confirm/deny the recommendation I've been given and virtual scouting I've done to find the area that suits my hunting style. If you are local, let me know and if the dates line-up we could meet up for some scouting days. I'll PM you my dates once you get enough messages to be able to PM.

I don't have an Instagram. Stick around for a bit and contribute for a couple days and your post count will get high enough that you can send PMs.

I'm still up in the air on which area to focus on. I've received a couple of conflicting recommendations on areas feasible for stalking and glassing(not gonna name spots after the recommendation from @Dsnow9 when I mentioned the unit number). Also getting conflicting info on water availability too. I'm probably (almost a for sure at this point) going to fly out for 4-5 days in October to do some boots on the ground scouting to confirm/deny the recommendation I've been given and virtual scouting I've done to find the area that suits my hunting style. If you are local, let me know and if the dates line-up we could meet up for some scouting days. I'll PM you my dates once you get enough messages to be able to PM.

I live here in Arizona have been scouting the last couple months. Not that it really matters as the rut stirs everything up. However I know some canyons they are for sure to hold up in and seen them last year in during my itc deer hunt. I have a good idea on where to hunt I have a lot of e scouting done as well once I'm able to message I have some coordinates for you. This hunt will definitely consist of sitting water if your hunting the northern part of the unit as it's so thick. I have a lot of water holes that are in remote canyons that hold elk post rut. Don't get me wrong the northern part of the unit has glassing areas like up on parts of the rim looking down however spot and stalk is hard with the thick Forrest one moment you see them and next they are gone.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back