Arizona Rifle or Bow?

streamer

Trying to convince a friend to put in for Arizona with me on a bow hunt, but he would like to do it rifle. We plan to put in for 4 to 5 years of PP before we try to draw. Can anyone give me there input on wether they would go rifle or bow hunt? Maybe muzzel is a thought
What seem s to be the best time to go to AZ for a hunt, is there rut different than other states. His dispute is for the money to draw the tag he would like to reach out with his rifle than use his bow, better odds or not?

I am far from an expert on this, but I have drawn Arizona twice for archery. I did a solo hunt in 2001 and shot a bull on the ninth afternoon of my hunt after several oppurtunities botched by me, the wind or whatever else could happen.' A beautiful 5x6, not a monster, but a bull on public ground all by myself, while the country was in the midst of dealing with 9/11.

Drew again in '09 and did a DIY with two friends we had some awesome encounters and I shot my bull on day eight. I could'nt seal the deal on monsters but had a great experience with friends. Unfortunately my buddies didn't bring anything home. All of us had bulls within twenty five yards or less. We hunted twelve of the fourteen days allowed and had to head home. That is another story in itself with a blown up truck on the way down and three flat tires, all before we hit the Az. border. WOW that was stressful.

The encounters there were crazy compared to the hunts I have done for elk in Colorado and Wyoming. Not to cut these states down as I know there are some great areas, just saying after many trips to them, I was blown away in AZ. in '01. Our hunt in '09 was great but there were definitely more people around. It seemed for everyone with a tag there were at least two to four extras along for the ride.

All in all I think you have a very good chance with archrey gear, if you put your time in.

Good luck with what you decide.

Check the drawing odds and see what tag you CAN draw with 4 or 5 points.
Add the AZ hunters ed point, plus after five years you get a loyalty point and you could get up to 7.

I have checked the draw odds I'm not looking for that I'm looking for input from those that have hunted there, thanks anyways.

your buddy is not much into bowhunting or lacks nonresident bowhunting experience? AZ has some of the best quality and easiest bowhunts available in the west. So if your cheapskate buddy (demanding maximum effective shooting range per dollar spent:p ) is worried about a measly tag fee in year one being 'wasted' on an AZ bowhunt you may need a better partner, or at least better matched to your preferred hunt, if you like to bowhunt. Or go it alone for now and maybe put in together down the line.

Sounds like you are just now getting started. It costs a lot annually in nonrefundable fees to apply in AZ and with a bonus point system it makes a lot of sense to put in for bow hunts early on, or always, if you prefer bowhunting. You want to draw as often as possible so you really should put in for tags, rather than bonus points. Think how smart you will feel if you draw a couple tags in the first few years with few or zero bonus points spent. Odds are you will put in for a lot longer than 5 years (took me 12) before you get a tag in AZ but you could draw the first try if you choose units with nonres tags available after the max points round. Why would you want to throw away hundreds, if not a thousand or more dollars in required license costs along the way without trying to get a tag every time?

Better odds to kill with a rifle (maybe) but what is the better bull to you. One killed at 15 yards after a tough stalk, or one whacked at 500 yards from another zip code. Whatever your answer, go with what floats your boat and to heck with adjusting your hunt to meet some other persons preference.

streamer,

I'm somewhat on the same page as your buddy, as much as I like to bowhunt, I think it makes sense to apply for a rifle tag for most NR hunts.

There are many things to consider, but time and other draws are what I think about. Most of the general elk hunts are relatively short and if you have some time prior to the hunt, you could be done with a rifle in a day or two. Worse case, you hunt about a week and its done.

Archery seasons are typically longer, and usually it takes longer to take an animal with archery equipment.

I dont put much thought into the differences between a bull shot at 15 yards with a bow or a couple hundred with a rifle...the elk are what they are.

I dont think you can really go that wrong with a rifle, muzzleloader, or archery elk tag in AZ.

I drew a general rifle tag after applying for I believe 6 years, plus, I had the loyalty point and the hunters ed point.

I hope to draw again with in a few years, the elk hunting in AZ doesnt suck...

AZ_Elk%20062.jpg

Last edited:
Big difference in Sept archery rut hunt and a Nov late season rifle bull hunt. Odds of drawing a Nov rifle hunt as a NR are probably easier as there are more tags usually allotted. IMO, the hunt is tougher than the Sept archery bull hunt. You will most likely see more bulls during a sept archery rut hunt than a late season rifle or muzzy hunt.

If you put in for the Nov rifle hunt, research your unit and make sure you can hunt using the tactic you feel most comfortable with. For instance, if you like to glass and plan on glassing up a decent bull and putting a stalk on him, there are some units that are more conducive to that than others. Others you'll spend your time beating the brush trying to kick bulls out of the thick stuff and hoping you're able to make a quick shot before he disappears again. The bulls have been chased since September in most units and are hiding out by November and tougher to find.

If you have dreams of the early rifle bull hunt, you'll be putting in for a LONG time as a NR. If you are thinking of putting in for the Nov late archery hunts, the odds are good (only 25 tags though), but the hunt would be VERY tough as a NR. People I hear doing well on those hunts are locals who are very familiar with the elk movement and where they are at that particular time of year...

Elk rut in Sept/Oct in AZ. Late muzzy or rifle would be your best (draw) odds, but imho early archery bull would be your best experience, but would take longer to draw. The late rifle hunts tend to be a zoo with all the tags they've been issuing lately in a lot of the units.

If possible, put in for the tag and not just bonus points. You never know when you might get lucky since AZ does bonus points and not preference points.

Ron

Sounds like alot of mixed thoughts here I am getting some good input though, I appreciate the comments keep them coming. AZ Ron has some good points to think about, don't worry I will take my friend with no matter what we draw for tag. He's just salty about the last bow hunt he did with outfitter that cost him a pretty penny and 4 guys got nothing.

I've been drawn for AZ bull elk three times......all archery. I was fortunate enough to come home with P&Y bulls on each hunt. Personally, I would go with a bow. They're rutting (bugling) which makes the experience thrilling, you see lots of elk, and the weather and wind is fairly nice and consistent.

Of course I'm a bowhunter only......so my response may be a bit tainted. :)

You must possess or
purchase a license to participate in a drawing
or to purchase a bonus point. No refunds will
be issued for license or application fees if you
apply in a drawing and are unsuccessful in the
drawing.

There is no point in applying for a Bonus Point only; you are paying the same money either way. So, I hope that you guys are already in the Draw; it's Feb. 7 today(I know that you Posted on Jan. 25). Get in the Draw, your odds of drawing are slim however you never know! I drew muzzeloader deer(12A) and elk(6A) on my first attempt ever and was successful on both!

One thing is sure, if you don't put in for a hunt, you won't draw a hunt.. Why waste the effort?

Oh I'm in app. was in weeks ago I'm really excited to get started on trying to draw a tag in a new state. Ive only hunted CO in the past. Easy draw and OTC if you don't draw. But there are other good states out there that I will draw in time.

Streamer goodluck & I am glad you decided to apply...

Ron pretty much hit the nail on the HEAD! We have some great bulls obviously, but it isn't a cake walk, even for a local resident.;)

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back