Caribou Gear

Arizona Late Archery

DK27

The state of Arizona offers late archery seasons in the month of November. Some of these hunts have decent odds of drawing which sparked my interest. Does anyone have experience with late archery in AZ? I'd love to hear about those hunts.

I know enough to know that bulls aren't exactly vocal post rut. Looking at spot and stalk hunting. Spotters and binoculars will definitely get some use. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I have not hunted that season myself. I did look into it as well and what I have been told is that the people that have the most luck sit over water. I don't know if that would interest you or not. I thought the same thing, that it would be cool to do some spot and stalk hunting but it seemed like everybody told me to sit water. I think it would be worth trying, plus you get to hunt Arizona elk, hard to beat that.

Right on! I'd be down to sit for a few days and see what happens. Like you said, it's Arizona elk. It would be awesome no matter how you approach it

Get yourself a couple climbing tree stands if you do it. No competition down there almost never see other stands up. Three years ago I passed 30 bulls gambling for a toad. Found five wallows three miles in. Early hunt, but likely still worth trying on the late.

That's a great idea Zim! Thank you! Post up a couple tree stands by watering holes. I'd sit there all week. That sounds awesome

The reason there is no competition with tree stand hunters is because it doesn't pay
to sit in a tree where you cannot stalk an Elk that may come to water.You are better off "still"
hunting a water source where you have manuverability.Very rarely do you see tree stands in Az. 〽💥

So you wouldn't recommend sitting over water in general then? Either in a stand or on the ground?

The reason there is no competition with tree stand hunters is because it doesn't pay
to sit in a tree where you cannot stalk an Elk that may come to water.You are better off "still"
hunting a water source where you have manuverability.Very rarely do you see tree stands in Az. 〽💥

I have done both depending on the terrain with great success. The advantage with stands is that I hunt at 30’ if I can find the right tree. At that height my scent usually blows over the top of incoming bulls so I remain undetected. I also try to find trees with shots to nearby trails. They don’t actually have to wallow for me to get a shot. My last one did not. Actually 28 of the last 30 I passed on did not wallow. They just passed through to check them out. Plenty of shot opportunities.

The biggest bulls always approached from down wind. This is why I am tentative to set up on the ground unless it is well back out of bow range of the water. Not so with a stand. But both are effective.

Last edited:
You PASSED on 30 Bull Elk during the Late Season Archery hunt in Arizona,U.S.A.???
While sitting in a tree stand?〽💥

You PASSED on 30 Bull Elk during the Late Season Archery hunt in Arizona,U.S.A.???
While sitting in a tree stand?〽💥

No I never said that. Mine was the early archery unit 1. I specified that in post #4.

Also, I run-n-gunned off the ground 2/3rds of my hunt, and stand hunted 1/3rd. I like mixing them up.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back