Arizona 7 East Peaks - Elk

TexRed

My cousin and I both drew elk tags for Unit 7E East Peaks in Arizona. This was our first year applying so we feel fortunate to have drawn anything. It is a rifle hunt in mid October. This will be both of our first elk hunts, I have some decent knowledge of basic patterns and behaviors of elk from books, forums, hunting shows/podcasts, etc.

I've started scouring google for forums and articles about the area as well as looking at Google Earth for possible spots to check out. I realize this is going to be a tough unit, both mentally and physically, to try to kill a bull but I am busting my a$$ to be prepared. We are planning on backpacking in away from the crowds and hunting pressure.

I have been calling around to the Game and Fish and Forest Service offices. Game and Fish was not willing to talk to me right now because they are "busy" and the lady at the Forest Service sounded like she was either new or an intern. She was nice but not very helpful at all.

I have read the elk either head up high when season starts or they leave the unit completely.
I also saw multiple people say that scouting the area is futile since everything changes so much once season opens, is this true?
Is there a chance they might still be bugling during mid Oct?
I am also concerned about water availability in the peaks.

If there is anyone with experience in the unit they would like to share I would greatly appreciate it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back