Area with lots of Elk bones, what to make of it?

bgreen1tcu

I am fairly new to hunting elk in Arizona... I took my son out on a scouting/camping trip this weekend and we found what I think would be a very good/hard to get to area which would provide several days worth of good hunting. The odd thing was that just about every few hundred yards of walking we would come across groupings of elk bones. Several spines, leg bones, a few skulls and a ton of jaw bones. In two specific spots we found no less than 8 or 10 sets of jaw bones. Were these from past hunts, a predator, or what? There are hardly any signs of human activity in this very secluded are and even if it were due to hunting, what hunters would take multiple elk like this? Also, i thought about maybe hunters had a favorite area to clean their elk over the years but there was nothing special I could figure out about these area, no good hanging trees, etc. I will say one theory was that most were close to dry creek beds, did they wash down and collect?

We just found all of these bones to be very odd, I will say we had a great scouting trip and saw several elk and one bull that looked like he would be a good one after his antlers were full grown.

There's an area near me where a local game processor dumps bones, but if it's remote probably not that. I hear of wild horses being killed by lightning, and know someone who saw a beef cow get struck in Colorado.

If its near a road & looks like a dump, then that's outfitters dumping bones.
I have found several lightning kill sites in AZ & NM of elk & cattle. Miles from a road and while hunting during storms.One was fresh,within a few days.
The algae bloom cause was dertimined by G&F a few years ago in NM.

One summer while working out of Missoula we drove past a ranch with a single tree in the pasture all of the cows would cluster around that tree in the shade. One day a lightning strike killed all 23 of the cows. certainly a good possibility.

I would check to see if there are any cut surfaces might indicate dumping.

In the northern areas you find areas of winter kill. Last year I found 26 deer skeletons in a basin. likely a late spring snow storm.

Here's an interesting story from CA. http://sierrabighorn.blogspot.com/2017/11/migrating-mule-deer-deaths-in-high.html

bishop%2Bpass%2Bmortalities.jpg

Migrating deer slid to their deaths below Bishop Pass.
Photo Nov. 11, 2017 Courtesy of California Department of Fish and Wildlife

If its near a road & looks like a dump, then that's outfitters dumping bones.
I have found several lightning kill sites in AZ & NM of elk & cattle. Miles from a road and while hunting during storms.One was fresh,within a few days.
The algae bloom cause was dertimined by G&F a few years ago in NM.
Definitely not near any roads... I only saw one skull that was sawed off, the rest were cows and in-tact. Pretty interesting stuff.

Attachments

• EB94DD10-6975-4E98-8B41-F7F3A40D4B00.png
    EB94DD10-6975-4E98-8B41-F7F3A40D4B00.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
Well I suppose that depends...are there thunderstorms in that part of AZ during elk season?

August into September is monsoon season in parts of the state. Mt Humphries near Flagstaff is known to be at risk of lightning in the afternoon summer and fall.

Back