Area 69

Does anybody else have personal experience hunting Antelope in Area 69? If so, I would like to pick your brain and ask a few questions if you don't mind (via PM).

Thank you.

I thought it was going to be a slam dunk for doe tags and we went 0/3. Drew tags that were not expecting to get. Maybe everyone saw the slam dunk thing too and now it is an air ball.

Area 69 had a bunch of type 6 leftovers last year. One of very few leftover options with significant public access.

My assumption is that applicants thought is was a sure thing and the odds cratered.

I thought it was going to be a slam dunk for doe tags and we went 0/3. Drew tags that were not expecting to get. Maybe everyone saw the slam dunk thing too and now it is an air ball.

Do you mean you drew tags in another Area because you didn't draw in Area 69?

If there is a bunch of accessible public land, it looks like a slam dunk, and people start drawing attention to it by posting the specific hunt area number online- then the application numbers are going to be really, really high.

Last edited:
Do you mean you drew tags in another Area because you didn't draw in Area 69?
Yes we drew our other choice that was a draw the year before. I apply in two different units just for the scenario that happened. Think you have slam dunk and sitting on bench. I make my 1st choice my second choice on second app and second choice on 1st the 1st choice on second app. A B, B A.

Yes we drew our other choice that was a draw the year before. I apply in two different units just for the scenario that happened. Think you have slam dunk and sitting on bench. I make my 1st choice my second choice on second app and second choice on 1st the 1st choice on second app. A B, B A.
Isn't ABBA a musical group?🤔

Area 69 had a bunch of type 6 leftovers last year. One of very few leftover options with significant public access.

My assumption is that applicants thought is was a sure thing and the odds cratered.

Exactly. The same thing happened last year as well to a nearby unit. The "best" unit on the leftover list draws attention, then gets flooded as a "slam dunk" option the next year. Kind of crazy, need to think two steps ahead these days. Only downside is once a unit is on a guy's radar, it now has attention on it going forward. Long story shot, don't expect 69 to fall to leftovers (or even 2nd choice for doe tags) anytime soon.

Area 69 good if you have a lady partner to enjoy it with.

Serious side, it's a good area. I never hunted it myself, but I birddogged with a buddy and he got a nice buck. Access is fairly easy.

Please do! I’m leaving tomorrow bright and early from Michigan for the same area.

Good luck!

Back