Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Are spotting scopes necessary for elk rifle seasons in open terrain?

matechakeric

or would a 10x or 12x bino do almost the same thing? trying not to buy stuff I don't need

Good Binos! Dont be one of those Aholes looking at everything thru there rifle scope. Spotters are nice and helpful but not "needed" in most rifle situations.

ive said it before, spotting scopes are not necessary except to really dissect an animal. binos on a tripod work wonders
great info. we don't care about score. more concerned with seeing animals are legal and worth going after...not counting points on each side. especially on public land general units -- you take what you can get. hard to be picky

Good Binos! Dont be one of those Aholes looking at everything thru there rifle scope. Spotters are nice and helpful but not "needed" in most rifle situations.
i can't believe so many people look at their groups at the range through their scopes. yikes. at least at the ranges I go to, it is a posted rule no-no

Not all x10-x12 binos are equal. $89 Walmart special still picks cows from bulls a very long distance away, but a bright crisp pair is like looking through a microscope.

I had to choose between upgrading my binos or buying a spotter. I opted to upgrade binos and I am happy I did.

I agree with everyone's suggestions so far. A pair of good quality binos are all you need. Spotters are handy for reasons previously described, however, not necessary. Particularly true in open country. I always bring a spotter along on my hunts. I don't always bring the spotter in the pack, it often stays in the truck on elk hunts.

Good binoculars are all you need. Walmart specials are better than none but a good set are better than that.

I've seen people use their range finders as binos and that just makes my eye hurt.

I have 2 pairs of vortex binos and one vortex spotter. Seems like I never use my spotter anymore. It just sits on my dresser and I hang my hat on it .

My thought as well. As long as the range hasn’t been called clear, I can’t see the issue
Agreed. If someone is looking at me through the rifle scope, then yikes. I prefer to look at my target through my rifle scope at the range because it teaches me good mechanics to stay on target for a follow-up shot. My buddy is behind me with the spotter if necessary.

Why not? Isn't your rifle already pointed at the target? I've never heard of this before...
not the ranges I go to. They say don't check your groups through your scope. use binos. at least where I'm from, it's a good way to get kicked off the range if you don't learn from your 1st warning.

I figured it was the rule everywhere. you can follow through after your shot by looking through the scope but can't use your scope as the only optics for grouping checks. t

Last edited:
I've never used a spotting scope in my life, but I'm not really a "trophy" hunter either. I haven't had any trouble telling if a bull is legal with my 10x Vortex binos. I guess I'm really not all that picky beyond legality.

If I were hunting moose or sheep in Alaska where the legal threshold is as specific as it is there, I'd probably take one along.

not the ranges I go to. They say don't check your groups through your scope. use binos. at least where I'm from, it's a good way to get kicked off the range if you don't learn from your 1st warning.

I figured it was the rule everywhere. you can follow through after your shot by looking through the scope but can't use your scope as the only optics for grouping checks. t

That's absolutely ridiculous...and I go a pretty tightly-controlled range

If you like to walk a scope isn't necessary. For me, I let my eyes do the walking as much as posible. GJ

Sounds like you have a group of Fudds running the range. I bet those guys think that a .50 BMG flying 3 ft above your head will make it implode.

As most have said, as long as the range isn't clear, I'll check with my scope at 100yds or less. But who am I kidding, I live in the prairies and haven't been to an actual private range in years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back