Are silencers effective for hunting?

mummel

For example, to get that 2nd shot (or are you blown regardless).

There are a few other non-critical benefits to using them (i.e. not piss off your neighbors, ear protection etc)

But do folks use them where they are legal for hunting?

I hunt with a silencer if at all possible and have done so in 2 states thus far. I've killed whitetail in a field with other deer nearby that did not spook from the shot if they were on the field edges in the treeline. But if all deer are in the field when the shot breaks, they will scatter. My experience with antelope is that they will run from a suppressed shot, but a prairie dog passing gas seems to be just as effective to spook a pronghorn.

I don't really think about using a silencer as a second shot advantage based on the type of hunting that I do, but I can see how it would be from a mountain hunter's perspective.

I think you posted about buying a new rifle on another thread, so I'll add that if you intend to hunt with a silencer, I think you'd be wise to consider a rifle with a medium profile barrel and threaded muzzle from the factory, like a Tikka CTR. Bergara, Christensen and Howa offer the same. You'll want a heavier barrel profile because of the additional heat and harmonics generated by the silencer. It can change your point-of-impact (POI) very quickly and cause great frustration.

I did some quick research. Wow these silencers are like $800. Thats a lot given some of them cost more than the rifle.

Is the Tikka T3x threaded?

I watched a test vid. Reductions are small, maybe 10-30 dbs? That hardly seems worth the cost no (I mean just for hunting/non-tactical)?

I want to get a threaded .22 and use a can for squirrels. I know a few spots where I could easily fill a limit with subsonic rounds and a suppressor. That's also the big thing to remember about using a suppressor -- without using subsonic rounds, it's still noticeably loud. Biggest reason I would be in favor of it would be hearing protection. But it's not high on my list right now.

Rinella had a large section of a recent podcast dedicated to this. Many countries outside the US allow and sometimes require silencers for all hunting applications. I wish we would get on board because I think using them is a no-brainer, and my ears agree.

I watched a test vid. Reductions are small, maybe 10-30 dbs? That hardly seems worth the cost no (I mean just for hunting/non-tactical)?

10-30 dBs can be very significant. You might consider finding a range or dealer that will rent or demo a silenced rifle for you to try or find someone with one who will give you a demo. It takes hearing one and feeling the recoil difference in person to really appreciate the difference. That said, you may not find it's worth the investment for your needs.

10 dbs is noticeable, 30 dbs is very, very noticeable. I use a decibel meter about once a week for measuring the volume of music and the difference between 70 dbs and 100 dbs is significant.

Personally, I don't think the cost of a can is justified on a hunting rifle, but that is just my opinion. If you are serious about getting one, Witt Machine sells their suppressors for around $500 and that includes the stamp so its a pretty good deal if you are so inclined. You can find them on facebook and web. I bought a couple muzzle rise eliminators for my AR's and the price was good as was the quality. Shipping was quick too.

I was thinking about getting the Tikka T3x, but dont want to limit myself down the road if I decide a suppressor is a good idea.

The Tikka also doesnt come in a .223 which I thought may be a good idea down the road for practice. Decisiions.

I was thinking about getting the Tikka T3x, but dont want to limit myself down the road if I decide a suppressor is a good idea.

The Tikka also doesnt come in a .223 which I thought may be a good idea down the road for practice. Decisiions.
It wouldn't cost much to have a Tikka T3X threaded for a suppressor. I'd not avoid that make/model on those grounds. YMMV.

Unless you use subsonic rounds, I have doubts it would be extremely helpful for second shots. The noise reduction is significant without subsonic ammo but not enough for animals that are generally skittish to stay around.

That said, I have shot many deer with a 270 WSM and other animals would stand around trying to figure out where the danger was.

It wouldn't cost much to have a Tikka T3X threaded for a suppressor. I'd not avoid that make/model on those grounds. YMMV.

Having been down this road once, I wouldn't do it again. Extra cost, voids the warranty and when I wasn't happy with the outcome (poor accuracy that was difficult to determine the cause), I had a big loss on my hands. That said, I've got another T3 in .308 that handled the same suppressor and muzzle device combination without issue. Too many other factory threaded options and a slightly heavier barrel profile helps a lot with consistent POI. I'm also sticking with direct thread attachment whenever possible now. But as you say...YMMV.

I put a SiCo harvester on my 6.5X55 t3 ultralight. Shoots every bit as good as it did before I threaded it. Recoil is next to nothing. Poi shift was 2moa I believe. My new T3X 7mag is getting threaded this weekend!

I put a SiCo harvester on my 6.5X55 t3 ultralight. Shoots every bit as good as it did before I threaded it. Recoil is next to nothing. Poi shift was 2moa I believe. My new T3X 7mag is getting threaded this weekend!

Glad you had a good experience with it. I have a Harvester now, myself, but I was working with a Dead Air Sandman and one of their muzzle brakes on the 7mm-08. I wondered if shimming the muzzle to time the brake wasn't the problem. I just couldn't get a consistent zero out of it.

How does the ultralight barrel hold up to repeat shots? How much time do you need to wait between shots on the range for a good group, if at all?

A few reactions:

First, decibels are a logarithmic scale so a 30dB drop is a 1,000x drop (and 20dB drop is a 100x drop).

Second, suppressors are primarily for the shooter (and their surrounding buddies). The sonic crack of a big game round at standard velocities is plenty to alert the animals and isn’t effected at all by the suppressor.

Third, your various posts this week have referenced recoil concerns. Most suppressor designs also are effective at cutting recoil significantly.

Fourth, standard suppressor threading is 5/8”x24. Some will go to 9/16”x24. A very small number will even go down to 1/2”x28. This is a problem for many if not all of the sporter weight barrels as they are too thin at the muzzle to thread 5/6 or 9/16. Even those thick enough to thread 1/2x28 (which isn’t all) aren’t that helpful as few recommend attaching big game cartridge rifles to suppressors with 1/2x28 threadings. There are different work around including adapter nuts, building up diameter at muzzle, etc but they can cause significant accuracy challenges if not absolutely perfect. I am suspect of factory 1/2” threaded sporter weight barrels for any use other than simple brakes.

Fifth, Tikka T3x does come in .223Rem (right on tikka website and I have a buddy who has one).

I always figured one on a 22-25 for calling coyotes would be handy. If we could I would have some on most of my rifles just to help save my hearing

My Swede has always shot superb groups. If I'm shooting for groups I wait a couple minutes between shots, can or no can. I have found a ~50fps velocity increase on a cold bore/can. I'm not a group shooter per say. I zero for cold bore and like to shoot steel from hunting. positions. This is what it looks like off a bench at 100yards. All 5 shot groups, 143gr Eldx R23, lapua brass, 2910fps suppressed off bags
IMG_20170709_112503.jpg
IMG_20170709_111458.jpg
IMG_20170709_112700.jpg

EDIT: I could probably tighten things up if I stopped pulling shots ;)

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back