Are overran National Parks a glimpse of the future of all our public lands?

I think its a phase because of the tech boom. All these apps to showcase your life so people flock to "cool" places. I see it wearing off and moving onto something else and the parks will be back to normal attendance. I admit I could be way off here but I hope I'm right.

I think its a phase because of the tech boom. All these apps to showcase your life so people flock to "cool" places. I see it wearing off and moving onto something else and the parks will be back to normal attendance. I admit I could be way off here but I hope I'm right.
And not just parks, but wild places in general.

I am hopeful that the surge my be a result of Covid. People are not vacationing overseas so they are hitting the parks. Next year, if things are normal, may see a decrease in public land usage. MN fishing license sales were down this year compared to last. Time will tell, but it might not be as bad as it looks from the viewpoint of early July 2021.
Election year....won't be normal.

How some of that influx of tourists are spending their time in Jellystone. An idiot wrapped in a moron blanket. We almost had a new Darwin Award winner.

Last edited:
How some of that influx of tourists are spending their time in Jellystone. An idiot wrapped in a moron blanket. We almost had a new Darwin Award winner.
Oh man I forgot about this one. There was a whole thread on this one clip a while back.
Honestly I'm in your camp, I think part of it is a trend that will die back a bit with time. But also I'm like you, hopeful but not certain

$50 to park for Colorado's most popular 14er, Quandary Peak as of today.

Public lands managers are happiest when they are managing the least and updating their social media the most. So they restrict access via very few places to park,and are surprised when parking is overrun.

A couple years ago we hiked up Quandary, left the house around 4:30, got there at 6, had to park a half mile down the road, (but off the shoulder such that our tires were on the other side of the white line so to be legal). Not sure how many people on the hill that day, maybe a couple thousand. The number of people were less of a nuisance than the parking frankly, and the fact that one has to drive in the dark to hike.

Popular public land destinations are a zoo, that's ok, to be expected, if I want solitude I can walk into the woods off trail anywhere. The number one job of public land managers should be allowing people to use the land. Hiking and toilet paper are very temporary when compared to a road or an open pit mine etc. The abdication of the job public land managers are hired to do should be grounds for permanent reassignment to the arctic. The least they can do is let us go ahead and recreate.

I was contemplating this topic earlier today, after reading that the gub'ment is finally going to allow the additional unemployment benefits to expire, along with the anti-eviction stuff. If you're capable of working, get 'yer butt out and get a job! That is, you want a roof over your head and want to eat. Forcing all these folks back to work with only about 2 weeks of vaca per year will alone limit the influx into our parks and campgrounds - my opinion.

Try going too any National park or lake in Utah,thousands of people everywhere,I tried fishing Pine valley /Duck creek and found every inch of the shoreline filled with a fisherman.

To sum up this thread for some instead of reading all the post. People are complaining about other people using their rights to visit these site that their tax dollars pay for. Most here think the "city folk" should stay in the city and not explore their own country. Just keep paying their taxes and those funds be used to fund your passions.

Leftover sales for RMNP timed entry passes (119) for next Tuesday commences at 5pm Monday...(*note on website, "they go quickly")

#pentupwanderlust #cheapentertainment #socialdistancing

To sum up this thread for some instead of reading all the post. People are complaining about other people using their rights to visit these site that their tax dollars pay for. Most here think the "city folk" should stay in the city and not explore their own country. Just keep paying their taxes and those funds be used to fund your passions.
Spot on! The solution needs to include making the cities in to a place people want to spend some of there vacation time. I don't see the crowding problem in the parks getting better in the near future with the direction the cities are going and with covid.

Spot on! The solution needs to include making the cities in to a place people want to spend some of there vacation time. I don't see the crowding problem in the parks getting better in the near future with the direction the cities are going and with covid.
Maybe we should declare more of the major cities as "National Parks?" Then maybe the un-savvy tourists will go back to the cities??? ;)

We need kid's soccer, football, lacrosse, dance, scouts, baseball, etc... to start back up.

The excuse to not go camping has always been kid's activities. BRING 'EM BACK!
That's the main reason we have not done more camping. We have been so busy with my son's soccer and my daughter's swim, we have no time to do anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back