Are cheap tripods worth it?

I have a Slik Sprint Pro II with a ballhead I picked up used for 40 bucks on ebay . I put my 80 mm spotter on there and it holds in my living room - have not tested in the field but the bipod seems of very good quality.

I don't know how y'all can use a ball head for glassing. Sure, its fine when I want to point at something specific, but for gridding I can't imagine how that would work. Pan head all the way for me.

I don't know how y'all can use a ball head for glassing. Sure, its fine when I want to point at something specific, but for gridding I can't imagine how that would work. Pan head all the way for me.

I agree 100% with this. Ball heads suck. At least for me, and apparently for vanish as well.

I agree 100% with this. Ball heads suck. At least for me, and apparently for vanish as well.
Mine has a super smooth pan axis, so I pan,then a slight bump up or down in elevation and pan again.

Thought I would do a quick review, after my hunt this weekend.

I used a Targus TG-42TT Tripod, with a field optics research adapter. Adapter cost $40, the tripod was free to me but you can get them on Amazon for $25... so $65 for the setup.

This tripod is super cheap, feels pretty cheap. It weighs about 1/2 of any option that exists... maybe 14oz, and it folds up tiny like could go in a big cargo pocket in your pants in a pinch? It extends to 42in which means it's perfect for seated glassing, can't be used standing.
The legs don't have traditional locks, they basically have these micro button locks (think how you put together kayak paddles.) The work well enough although can be a little loud if you aren't careful.
The pan head is surprisingly good, I had no problems with it and was able to easily lock it out to focus on game.

The tripod is not durable... I'm sure you will break it after a couple of heavy seasons of use, it also can't be used with a spotter the pan head isn't strong enough.

I would say if you are just getting into using a tripod glassing, this would be a great route to go, buy the adapter which you can used on a better tripod if you decide to upgrade. I think it's best for you average elk or deer hunter that is looking to get eyes on game, but won't be carrying a spotter.

Overall rating 5/10.
1568125294189.png
1568125420844.png

1568124398259.png

Thanks for that review that seems like a really good option. This may sound self explanatory but what’s the purpose of the adapter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back