Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Are 4 season tents needed for mid-season (October-early November)

matechakeric

hunts in the mountains? Would a 3-season or 3+ season tent be suitable or do you really need to go 4 season in case you get hit by a snowstorm?

I'm not interested in a tipi tent and I know a lot of folks on here recommend but that I like being in a tent and I find they are more resistant to bugs

In the CO mountains It starts freezing overnight around Labor Day, and troublesome bugs are gone within a few weeks. How far do you plan to carry your tent? Stove or no?

In the CO mountains It starts freezing overnight around Labor Day, and troublesome bugs are gone within a few weeks. How far do you plan to carry your tent? Stove or no?
no stove so no hot tents. I'm afraid of getting a 4 season tent without good ventilation in case I want to use it other times of the year though

I have always been ok in a 3 season tent, even into the late rifle seasons here in Colorado. There have been occasions when I have to wake up several times throughout the night and smack the snow off of the sides to keep it from getting too heavy, but it's not a very regular occurrence.

Look at SlingFin (they make Stone Glacier tents as well). Tons of information on their site. Read carefully the comments on what has happened to many of our once-esteemed "name" tents. Sold to VCs and beancounters. And their comments on fabrics. Silicone coatings vs polyurethane, etc.

And, obv, Hilleberg, our esteemed host's favorite. And rightly so. Never compromised on anything, and as the daughter of the founder is CEO, likely never will.

And, look at it this way: what are you spending on a hotel room in a resort area with views to come nowhere near close to a backcountry camp? One trip and a $1000 tent is paid for; the next 10 years are free. That's how we always looked at it. Even factor in the best pads and bags, and you're still way ahead.

Buy once, cry once.

Always used a 3 season type tent and still do for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons in CO. I will say a tarp and some extra parachute cord can go a long way though sometimes, and I've had to break that out on occasion.

There are some 4 season tents that are truly 4 seasons. They have lots of bug screen and all of it capable of zipping closed. Marmot Swallow

I would be comfortable with a 3 season tent in the times you mentioned...you might have to adjust camp below 10k, setup under a pine canopy, or make similar judgement calls based on what happens, but I think you'd be ok during most hunts.

Maybe make a list of your top 3-4 tents and compare packability and price with your top 3 season vs top 4 season. It its close go 4 season, if not less price decide.

Do you need one, no. Should you have one, yes. I've had November hunts in the 70's and I have had September hunts in the the 0's. It all depends on the weather. If you are going no matter what, get a 4 season tent and be done with it. I, like most people I think have more than one tent. I have a very good 4 season because if you need it you don't want to skimp. I also have a ok 3 season. If Its nice enough out to be able to use a 3 season you don't need the best one. That's my thinking anyways. You can always bring both and let the weather decide.

Any good recommendations for a 4 season tent that sleeps two people plus gear that can provide some ventilation for non-winter camping?

Would I survive the night in my hubba hubba if it snow'd like a foot... yeah, it has happened a couple of times.

Would I keep hunting... absolutely not.

So yeah lol totally agree.
My luxe tipi looked like a shitty sail on the Black Pearl last fall when there was some 70 plus winds. The snow issues haven't been terrible.

I now own a skyscraper though after that bullpoop.

If you pick sheltered tent sites and keep the snow knocked off when its dumping then 3 season will be just fine.

If you want to be able to pitch your tent on exposed/windy locations without worrying about it breaking then you'll be much happier with a 4 season.

Any good recommendations for a 4 season tent that sleeps two people plus gear that can provide some ventilation for non-winter camping?
Another option to think of. Hilleberg does sell a mesh liner for some of there 4 season tents. The 4 season inner tent can be unclipped and a completely mesh inner tent can be clipped in. It does add to the cost though. Or you can run different tents for different seasons/weather expected.

IMO the Skyscraper is tough to beat. On their site they have a video where they show 4 different set up options for it. With a footprint accessory, you can use it with just the tent poles, trekking poles and rain fly for ultra lightweight. I’m planning on trying that out in September. They also have a mesh insert that you could use instead of their standard that would make it more 3 season. I think for the price it’s tough to beat for adaptability.

no stove so no hot tents. I'm afraid of getting a 4 season tent without good ventilation in case I want to use it other times of the year though
I had widows/w screen installed on my four season tent so I can use it during summer. I also had bug screen install front door so can open it during summer. I also buy Fly so works good snow and rain. It cost little more .

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back