MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Archery, Rifle or muzzleloader?

Rooster52

What method of hunting do you like best? I guess I have no favorite but with getting older I find myself archery hunting less

Love the acuracy,dependability and end effect (animal down NOW) with my rifle.
The MZ is fun due to closer quarters,but not as much as a filled tag.
Going to try a bow again on advice from buddy with a few....says their nothing like my old Pearson straight bow or the Bear recurve I last used in 78'.

I would have to say Archery for Elk & Rifle for Mule Deer! So far my age of 61 is not dictating my choice of weapon.

ElkNut1

My first antelope buck was with my bow. I still want my first bull to be with my bow, so my either sex rifle tag I will probably shoot a cow. My first mule deer doe was with my cap lock muzzleloader. I've shot a couple of antelope bucks and does with rifle and muzzleloader and there wasn't the same satisfaction as doing it with my bow. With my physical limitations, antelope are still huntable for me without too much trouble. I shot a mule deer buck with my rifle. I've shot a cow elk with my rifle. I was ok with that, since I just love to hunt, no matter the weapon of choice. But, I grew up with a bow in my hand, so that is still my favorite. But, I do enjoy rifle and muzzleloader hunting as well. All of them pose their own different and unique challenges.

I've only rifle hunted, but my uncle-in-law tells me once I bow hunt for elk, I'll never go back. He says, I'll find way more elk in bow season than I will in rifle season. While I'll be rifle hunting in September this year on the other side of the state, I'm going to test his theory next year closer to home where most of the areas are general units with a lot of pressure and relatively low harvest rates in rifle season.

Anything that's legal, as being out is what it's all about for me more than killing an animal at my advanced age. This Fall will be my 64th hunting season and I'm looking forward to it just as much as I did my first.

Last edited:
What ever gives me the opportunity to be outside and hunting is what I want in my hand.....Love it all. There is something special about bow hunting though.

If you can do all three your options are endless.

Some states offer low success or low trophy quality rifle hunts.

Some states have premium tags that are easier to draw with a ML (especially open sites).

Some hunts like Idaho's A tag in draw units give you an opportunity to hunt draw units with a bow.

In states like Montana and Wyoming where you have long seasons with different weapon types, it would be a good move to learn them all.

Archery only..
If I can't get them with a bow, I don't care if I get one..

I am done archery hunting, but enjoyed all of the time that I spent doing it in my younger days. I now hunt primarily with center-fire (muzzle loaders are rifles, too). I usually kill a few deer a year with a muzzle loader, also.

I definitely use whatever I can to get out in the field, but archery is always the weapon of choice. I use my bow even through rifle season here in MS.

Love them all for different hunts. Don't discriminate and maximize your opportunities.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back