Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Anyone seen the Rivian vehicles?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
There is no way they are going to make a phone that I can put in my pocket, communicate with satellites, keeps me from getting lost and takes a picture of my dead deer. That's crazy talk.;)
About 30 years ago some guy came into my EE Communications class and told us the same thing. We thought he was nuts. He founded Qualcomm.

I was part of a business meeting thing down here in Arizona for the Lucid factory that is going to be built in Pinal county. The technology in these vehicles is incredible, and if you have the coin I think they would be awesome vehicles for down here. I have heard of that battery performance lacks in a cold environment. The Lucid car has a 400 mile range and a 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds, takes up the road space of a Mercedes C class, but has the cabin of an S class
Since there is no engine it has a front trunk “Frunk” and the backseat recline into what would traditionally be the trunk

Checked out my coworker’s Tesla S yesterday. It is a badass car.

Are they going to take over the world? Probably not soon, but they certainly are not getting less popular
Technology will only increase and they will only become more affordable. For example; the battery in today’s Tesla model S cost around $17k 10 years ago it would have cost over 80K

Many times when you buy an electric vehicle, you will have to upgrade your panel at your home to be able to charge it which will add a several thousand dollar cost unless you are an electrician yourself

Many times when you buy an electric vehicle, you will have to upgrade your panel at your home to be able to charge it which will add a several thousand dollar cost unless you are an electrician yourself
Is this so they can monitor and tax the amount of electricity to charge your car? Loss of gas tax revenue has been a concern.

Is this so they can monitor and tax the amount of electricity to charge your car? Loss of gas tax revenue has been a concern.
No, it just has to do with electric load.
It may not be such an issue in Montana. But in Arizona, if you’re already running a pool pump, and two AC units, you may need an upgrade to be able to handle adding a charger.

The way I see it is the cost for new technology will always be more than using old. Would I like a quiet, zero emission vehicle that drives as far as my current vehicle on a single charge and handles the off road conditions I want it to? Sure. Sounds great. Do I want to pay the premium price? Nope. Maybe I'm just getting old but I can't bring myself to pay what a new gas powered truck costs let alone an electric one.

You only have to upgrade your panel if you're currently maxed out or want to put in a quick charger. You can still do it with a standard 240 connection.

I've been using my Dodge Cummins as my daily driver ever since my kids started driving. A couple years ago I noticed you could lease a Nissan Leaf for ~$200 a month. We have charge stations at work and I figured adding a couple solar panels at home would equal free fuel. It turns out most of the charge stations charge between 30-50 cents/kWh which is 5X or more the standard residential rate. As for solar panels, you'd need at least 20 250W panels to maintain a typical charge for daily use assuming a 50 mile range. Forget about charging in the field. You couldn't carry enough portable solar panels. If you're hanging out in Wyoming, you could always try a couple of these:) Wind generator

We do a lot of work for the utility industry and this may end up being a big driver in the retail electric market in the next 5 to 10 years. As the number of electric vehicles grows and grows the affect they have on the electric grid is going to be noticeable. Time of use electricity is going to happen at some point in my opinion. People will be able to set their vehicles up to charge in the middle of the night when electric use is lower to take advantage of the lower price. They may also be setting some of these up as a battery bank so they can knock some of the peak use power costs in the late afternoon early evening when the residential loads are the highest and the electricity cost would be at a premium. These are still more of a novelty right now, but as production on these grows into the millions it is going to be interesting to see how the power grid adjusts for them.

"The R1T five-seat electric pickup truck by Rivian, an all-electric vehicle maker based out of suburban Detroit, is expected to have 400 miles of range when it goes on sale in late 2020. It can hit 60 mph in three seconds, Rivian said, and will cost about $90,000."

Prez Bernie & his VP AOC gon' gimmee one.....weeeeee-doggy

People will be able to set their vehicles up to charge in the middle of the night when electric use is lower to take advantage of the lower price. They may also be setting some of these up as a battery bank so they can knock some of the peak use power costs in the late afternoon early evening when the residential loads are the highest and the electricity cost would be at a premium. These are still more of a novelty right now, but as production on these grows into the millions it is going to be interesting to see how the power grid adjusts for them.

With a huge influx of electric vehicles though, won't we see that "middle of the night" low-draw period gradually go away because everybody with electric vehicles will be charging all night?

With a huge influx of electric vehicles though, won't we see that "middle of the night" low-draw period gradually go away because everybody with electric vehicles will be charging all night?
At one time the talk was that they could be used as storage for wind turbines and nukes (which have to run 24/7), etc. But last time I looked they were worried about grid stability (you can’t suddenly make huge changes in the grid load). Smart grid would help but too many people are afraid the power companies will be watching them through their microwave.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back