Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anyone running down pants or insulated pants?

338 win mag

I've been slowly collecting some Sitka gear, all of which I love so far. For pants I went with the timberlines and core heavyweight base layers. I'm wondering if that's enough for extended sits in really cold weather. I wore them this year in NC during deer season down to about 25 degrees and my legs stayed warm for the most part. Thought of looking into a pair of packable down pants or the likes to put in my pack for cold sits while glassing. Thoughts?

I use them on backcountry mountain hunts. I wear them for glassing and the. Pack them away when I start to hike. Only running some Marino pants underneath so I don’t sweat to much on the long hard hikes. I love them, best money I have spent in my hunting kit.

I use them on backcountry mountain hunts. I wear them for glassing and the. Pack them away when I start to hike. Only running some Marino pants underneath so I don’t sweat to much on the long hard hikes. I love them, best money I have spent in my hunting kit.
Kinda my thoughts. Not needed for hiking of course but long sits glassing

I saw on one of Randy's recent videos describing his layering system that he only wears a base layer with the timberline pants. I wonder if that would be enough for me as the temp dropped into the teens or colder haha. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the weather of the southeast.

I saw on one of Randy's recent videos describing his layering system that he only wears a base layer with the timberline pants. I wonder if that would be enough for me as the temp dropped into the teens or colder haha. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the weather of the southeast.

All depends on your hunting style, I turn into a sweat box hiking in long underwear and have missed out on more than one animal while my boots are off with the pants around the ankles trying to get long underwear off.

Yes full length side zips are key. I’ve been using belay pants for a dozen years or so. I don’t carry them real often, but when the weather and hunt calls for it they’re great.

Got a pair of the first lite down pants last year and absolutely loved them glassing, right up until my wife swiped them while i was off stalking some elk. never got them back that trip. but she was warmer. only thing better would have been the sleeping bag

Yea puffy pants are one of my favorite parts of my kit. If you'll be doing any extended glassing theyre unbeatable. I pretty much gave up on long johns. It was always agonizing deciding if I should put them on in the morning knowing that I'd be roasting in a couple hours. Great for hanging around camp too

The First Lite puffy pants are nice for extended sits and have a nice spot in my gear bag. Those things keep me so warm that I could take a nap.

Definitely a useful piece even for non-hunting sedentary activities too.

Excited to try mine out this year, I grabbed the Under Armour Ridge Reaper down Parka and Pant for $180 back in December. Seem really nice for that money compared to the other offerings.

I've been slowly collecting some Sitka gear, all of which I love so far. For pants I went with the timberlines and core heavyweight base layers. I'm wondering if that's enough for extended sits in really cold weather. I wore them this year in NC during deer season down to about 25 degrees and my legs stayed warm for the most part. Thought of looking into a pair of packable down pants or the likes to put in my pack for cold sits while glassing. Thoughts?
Picked up some Incinerator Bibs a few years ago. Pretty bulky for packable, very warm for posting in the cold, warms up fast hiking.

I found these that go over your other pants.

Seems like a good option for glassing. I'd like some to go under my top layer though for cold weather treestand hunting and ice fishing

It's a bitch to get into, but for tree stand whitetail sits in cold weather, I use a Heater Body Suit. I get cold easy, but I can sit all day in that thing. It is like being home in a cozy, warm bed!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back