Anyone loose their Buffalo?

The sheriff was as clueless as to what to do as me nobody has reported them missing. Good news is they were spooked by all the attention and have ran to the back of my property were they found the pea field and are now gorging themselves(sarcasm). I'm not sure what to do but they start messing fence up to try and get in with my cattle and the joking about a BBQ might be spot on. The novelty wore off real quick especially trying to keep my kids and dogs in the house and thinking about walking to my treestand in the dark.

How fast can you get a buddy to help you throw up a bison proof fence? Electric bear fence? Lol Sounds like they're your livestock now.

Reactions: trb
There ya go. No waiting for years in hopes of drawing a tag in AZ, SD, WY. Fair chase and all.
Looks like these bison are hanging out outside the Yellowstone park boundary. Just don't try to get a selfie and get gored like tourist do.

Here in MI we can legally* shoot them. I had cows in my alfalfa and sherif told me if I want to just shoot them otherwise let them eat.

Neighbor from a block away showed up and had a herding dog. He let the dog loose and they made a hell of a mess of my field. Should of just shot one.

Edit: We are legally allowed to take possession but must immediately notify law enforcement. How you take possession is not defined. Then it/carcass has to go through a process. The law doesn’t specify damage as a reason so I removed it.

We are absolutely not a free range state. It can be criminal if you don’t maintain possession of your stock.

Last edited:
Here in MI we can legally shoot them if they are causing damage. In your pea field is definitely damage. I had cows in my alfalfa and sherif told me if I want to just shoot them otherwise let them eat.

Neighbor from a block away showed up and had a herding dog. He let the dog loose and they made a hell of a mess of my field. Should of just shot one.
Edited: Michigan is a fence in state, but other than swine you cannot shoot someones livestock if they are on your property. You can sue for damages though.

Last edited:
No I didn't! You would need to sue them for damages.
That night, that was my option. Sounds like I may have some reading to do to see. If he was wrong in telling me that, I will eat my crow.

See edit above. No crow, just a little pigeon…

Last edited:
We had loose buffalo in our area of rural MN back in the early 2000s. One guy about 3 miles away wasn't feeding them enough and around 25 broke out. They travelled up to 8 miles south and north from where they started over a few week period. Settled in some aspen clear-cuts that were about 5 miles from the owners farm. Had a big roundup with all the neighbors involved, using pickups, snowmobiles, ATVs. A lot of guys had rifles with and kept telling the owner they have never shot a buffalo before so he better hope they head the right direction. Probably would have made the news if people had cell phone video at the time. Not many people can say they have chased a herd of buffalo with a 1980 Yamaha Enticer. Lucky the herd didn't turn and run me over.

Fence them in, feed them then when owner is found ask for compensation on the damages they did, loss of forage.
No ear tag or brand then I would say not livestock and fair game.

I let Bruno out to the back yard a few hours ago. Somehow he jumped the fence. If found, just offer Bruny a Peanut butter anything and he'll follow you anywhere. I'll come and get him ASAP, but I won't be held responsible for his 'patty's' so to speak. You can use them this winter in the fireplace.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back