Anyone Hunted the Kaibab?

bigsky2

I drew a Kaibab archery tag and so far I have talked to a game warden and a few other people familiar with the unit. I have never stepped foot in the unit, so I'm trying to get as much info about it as possible. I feel like I've got a decent idea of what to expect, but I'd still like to hear from as many people as I can. If anyone has hunted it and wouldn't mind sharing how their hunt went then please do. Feel free to PM me.

I use to hunt it every year when it was OTC. I haven't hunted it in years. Forget about getting away from roads, they're everywhere. A treestand on trail works good. Opener usually had deer running everywhere and many times they'd run right to you.

I’ve hunted the Kaibab twice. Once successful, once not. In that order. It’s been a while for me though. I hunted it when I actually lived in Az. Get as high as you can. I’m recalling Elevations there around 9k or slightly + or -.

The treestand recommendation is a good one. I have a work colleague who hunted the Kaibab years ago, and is a Missouri native so he always had a treestand in his truck. He was hiking and around and found a heavily used trail. He headed back to his truck, grabbed his treestand, and proceeded to shoot a 190" buck the next morning. I wouldn't recommend treestand hunting for muleys in a lot of places but on the Kaibab you have a definite opportunity for success.

I have hunted turkey their a handful of times but no deer. If its rained anytime in the last few weeks there will be water everywhere. If not then finding a pond and sitting on it can be worthwhile. There were several blinds at almost every water hole I found. Glass eye is right. Roads crisscross everywhere. So even when you think you are getting away from people so you can get out in a quiet spot, here comes a 4wheeler down the track. I was able to find a few trails that had heavy blow down that others were not following much so I got away from the crowds a bit. But expect to have to back track a few times because the blow down is so thick over the roads in some places and they just haven't been cleared yet. I found several places on the west side at the edge of the rim that looked interesting for glassing deer but I didn't see any giants as I was looking for smaller pray. Good luck!

I'm planning on bringing a tree stand just in case, thanks for the recommendations.

The road hunters on the Kaibab Plateau actually have the nerve to get annoyed at hunters on foot for messing up their hunt. Archery season might be more peaceful.
Don't overlook the lower elevations. Everyone says hunt high. But, there are deer that are overlooked in the Pinyon/Juniper.

Message me I Have that tag as well and have hunted it for Years Ill See if I Can point you in the right direction

Ahhhhh.... Fond memories. Took my first deer there when I was 14 or 15.
Can't help you now, as that was, well, more than a few years ago. Okay, a few decades ago.
At the time there were deer all over.
Wish you well!

--Dana

Bowhunted for almost 25 years straight when it was OTC......bowhunted it last year as well. I can send you a link (PM) that has quite a bit of info on it. From what I saw last year and this year on scouting trips (partner went up there), I'd focus on the Warm Fire area and look good in the jungle of small aspens........some really good bucks in there for the trained eye.

Back