Anyone hunt with 6.5 PRC?

I realize a lot of the caliber banter here is tongue-in-cheek, and that's all well in good. That being said, the caliber gate-keeping I see on this thread (and others) is really confusing to me

I take it all as tongue in cheek, if someone chooses by committee that is on them...

I realize a lot of the caliber banter here is tongue-in-cheek, and that's all well in good. That being said, the caliber gate-keeping I see on this thread (and others) is really confusing to me. Personally, I support everyone in increasing their inventory, exploring new options, and thus spending more time on the range.

Anywho, OP you will love 6.5 PRC. The BC advantages will be noticeable if you like to reach out and touch long distances at the range (also therefore increasing your effective hunting range). You can shoot these rounds all day with the lack of recoil, and a lot of really nice custom rifle options out there with short barrels, without sacrificing MOA.

Always good to hold true to what has worked for you over the years, especially when it comes to harvesting game. But it's also important to recognize advantages of new technology. In fact, the best long-range shooters in the world are switching to 6.5 CM as we speak, and this was after a ridiculous amount of testing.

EDIT: Happy Thanksgiving!
Hmmm, yet after all the testing done on the 5.56, they are working on changing over to the 6.8.
Wonder how much is engineer, target shooting, vs what actually happens with the terminal ballistics in actual field use.

FWIW I only mentioned the 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 to say that plenty of animals have been taken with 6.5mm projectiles of similar weight and moving at similar velocities for a long time. The 6.5PRC may make you happier than those in one way or another, but you can get a feel for it’s effectiveness on game by looking at those cartridges.

I should load some Hornady 160 grain Interlock round nose bullets in my Creedmoor and rename it the 6.5x48.8mm Creedcano!

Then we should reallly be looking at the 6.5X55 Swede, and 6.5X57 Mauser.

Slightly less powerful, and the majority of game taken with them was taken with very different bullets from those the OP is likely to use in his PRC, but sure, they have an excellent track record on game, and thus so should the 6.5 PRC.

I realize a lot of the caliber banter here is tongue-in-cheek, and that's all well in good. That being said, the caliber gate-keeping I see on this thread (and others) is really confusing to me. Personally, I support everyone in increasing their inventory, exploring new options, and thus spending more time on the range.

Anywho, OP you will love 6.5 PRC. The BC advantages will be noticeable if you like to reach out and touch long distances at the range (also therefore increasing your effective hunting range). You can shoot these rounds all day with the lack of recoil, and a lot of really nice custom rifle options out there with short barrels, without sacrificing MOA.

Always good to hold true to what has worked for you over the years, especially when it comes to harvesting game. But it's also important to recognize advantages of new technology. In fact, the best long-range shooters in the world are switching to 6.5 CM as we speak, and this was after a ridiculous amount of testing.

EDIT: Happy Thanksgiving!

I asked some guys I know in that community about the switch. It seems they are kind of neutral about the 6.5. A couple told me they would rather move the .300 Norma. Apparently SOCOM did just buy a small number of rifles chambered in .300 PRC. It will be interesting to see what they settle on, but it could take a couple of years.

And I hope your Thanksgiving was as terrific as mine was.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back