Yeti GOBOX Collection

anyone hunt deer with hounds here?????

sm

i usually hunt two full weeks with the hounds here but only managed to get 4 days this year. still turned into a great hunt though. camp got a totall of 9 deer and i managed to get two myself.

i've kept deer hounds for the last 18 yrs. and have had some great dogs but they have always chased them out to someone else. i've shaot lots of deer infront of all my buddies dogs and they have shot lots of deer infront of mine.

finally this year MY dog ran a deer out to ME.........and it turned out to be a very decent 10 point. and to top it off my wife was sitting with me, her first time in at a kill.

alot more to the story but it seems everyone wants to visit tonight so the rest will have to wait :rolleyes: ;)

As a kid (1965 until 1972) we would spend the holidays in Northeast Louisiana hunting Deer and Hogs with dogs. There were no exclusive areas, just large Timber Co. land. We would line the red dirt roads and wait for the Houndsmen, who were on Horseback to turn the dogs loose and as standers we would sit and wait. The sound of a pack of hounds coming your way always made me so excited! Then a couple of Does would cross, It really did'nt matter, as long as I got to see a deer it was a great day.
About mid-morning one of the aunts would drive a truck along these roads with a Ham Sandwich, a hot sweet potatoe..that you stuck in your pocket and warmed your hands on until time to eat it. We normally had two or three runs or stands per day. As a houndsman you rode a horse to follow the Pack and Haul the deer, I can remember my Uncle Marshall riding past me on a Tennessee Walker with with a Buck on the Back of the horse, stitting straight up in the saddle as that horse carried him on down the road. I always wanted to be the head Houndsmen, with the horse and the horn to call in the dogs. There were no 4 wheelers or radios, just cousins, aunts and uncles having a good time! I went with a neighbor in about 1988 on a Deer hunt with hounds, I left my gun in the Truck most of the time, all they could talk about was how bad their trucks were and which part of the Highway the Deer were going to cross at, 4 wheelers and CBs and bad manners. I think if I want to hunt Deer with Dogs again, I'll take a nap and dream of the Old Days and of an Uncle on a smooth stepping horse.

That is a great pic! Never "hunted" deer with dogs but have ran the shit out of them off and on over the last 26 years! In all those years we've accidentally killed one deer, dogs caught it and killed it one the ground, probably 18 years ago. quite the deal.

hell that's quite a pick R.R. :eek: :confused: ;) looks like a couple with an alternative lifestyle(politically correct???) :(

all our hounds worked great this year. also was a record year for misses. i tell you some guys can't hit the broad side of a barn. :rolleyes:

we normally do 4 hunts a day with 2 -4 hounds in the bush at a time. currently we have 13 hounds but a few pups have been accumulated since season closed and i think we are up to 18 now.

it's great to be able to come back to camp and grab fresh hounds for every hunt.

i am in a club that runs dogs for deer 2 saturdays a month. we surround a block with standers using shotguns then send in a pack of dogs with some drivers. this year was the first time i saw deer run out by dogs 1 doe 100 yards down from me and 2 weeks ago a spike ran right into my buckshot at about 10 yards. that was me first deer with a shotgun. it is kind of fun but i still prefer sitting in a stand, usually i will sit in a stand in the morning and go with the dogs later in the day then back to the stand in the evening. believe it or not the best places to hunt the evenings are the place the dogs have run in the afternoon, the deer seem to leave in a panic and then head back to the beds to start the evening rituals

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back