Caribou Gear

Anyone have any suggestions on a decent hiking distance app for Android?

OleRedbeard

I usually just use my OnX to track the distance but Im looking for something on a app that could track distance elevation and time. I know there are several out there but I have no experience with anything I was really that impressed with. The ones I have found that I like all seem to be geared towards Iphones. Anybody have any suggestions?

Pretty sure if you use the tracker on onx and you save the track when you click on it it will show you elevation. I don’t think it shows elevation while tracking though

I've always just used onx, it works well and it's one less app that I have to have on my phone. Anytime I go on a hike or on my bike I have made it a habit to just hit start in the tracking tool.
Ditto. No sense adding to the garbage apps simply to track a "hike".

OnX does just fine.

I have AllTrails and onx on my phone. I use onx almost every day for my run. Barely ever use alltrails unless I’m logging a hike with the family. I’ve never used strava before I was just throwing it out there.

yeah, after looking around and seeing what's out there.. about the only thing I will be gaining is an elevation chart.. I can see that on OnX by looking at the beginning and end of my track. I will probably just stick with that.

I've been using Gaia GPS since it was free, but now there's a fee. You can record a route and add waypoints that you want to remember. If you download an area map before going out you can use it offline which is essential where I live. It doesn't record elevation and sometimes fails to show certain quadrants but it has its uses. I back it up with USGS maps if I can't afford to get lost in the back of beyond.

All trails is awesome! Gives you the freedom to bush wack w/ confidence. Just make sure that you download the maps before you leave coverage and it will track your entire hike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back