Anyone have a lead on powder/primers?

Qubo

I started reloading this year and loving it. But now after all my load testing I’m in some trouble with this ammo shortage we are going through. I am shooting 168gr Nosler e-tips in my 300wm using Federal 215 primers and H4350 powder. I have plenty of bullets and brass as I stocked up during a Nosler sale pre covid. But now I’m down to 30 primers and without actually weighing my powder I’m guessing 20ish rounds worth left. I can’t find either anywhere. My rifle is close to sighted but needs one more shoot (3-6 bullets probably) and then I have 3 rifle hunts coming, one each month (Oct,Nov,Dec). I technically have enough probably but cutting it that close sure makes me uncomfortable. Hoping somebody has a lead on these? I live about 30min north of Denver if someone knows a local source. Thanks.

Definitely setup in-stock alerts for those and buy bulk. I've started to buy the rifle's lifetime of primers and powder.

Where you at? Maybe a generous local will borrow you some.

I'm in Denver, ill keep an eye out. Have you checked Murdock? They had no primers, but had some powders last time I was in there. I can give you 1or 200 cci primers if you get desperate.

Edit: nm, I only have large rifle, not magnum rifle.

I’m in Longmont. I have not checked Murdoch’s. I didn’t know they carried powder/primers so I definitely will. And I am for sure seething up alerts and buying bulk when I can get them from now on.

I was going to ask if you folks over there are experiencing shortages. We generally follow suit shortly after.

If you live near Cabelas / Bass Pro, they seem to have some IMR, big and small containers. Have them ship-to-store and save the Haz-Mat fee

I just happened to be in Bob Wards in Butte a couple weeks ago and noticed they had gotten a shipment of Federal primers. I bought 800 210M's. Pickings are mighty slim at present, but it won't last forever.

The last H4831 I got was from Cabela's. What I did was bought it on the website and had it shipped to the store to avoid the hazmat costs. There's a Cabela's in Missoula. I have to go there about once a week for work, so that worked pretty well. I think their powder inventory is pretty slim at this point too, but I haven't really needed powder yet. Primers, though, yes.

I just happened to be in Bob Wards in Butte a couple weeks ago and noticed they had gotten a shipment of Federal primers. I bought 800 210M's. Pickings are mighty slim at present, but it won't last forever.

The last H4831 I got was from Cabela's. What I did was bought it on the website and had it shipped to the store to avoid the hazmat costs. There's a Cabela's in Missoula. I have to go there about once a week for work, so that worked pretty well. I think their powder inventory is pretty slim at this point too, but I haven't really needed powder yet. Primers, though, yes.
Hey, you stay out of Missoula stores. I check them once in awhile. Don't know if you heard, but Scheels is coming early 2021. mtmuley

I started reloading this year and loving it. But now after all my load testing I’m in some trouble with this ammo shortage we are going through. I am shooting 168gr Nosler e-tips in my 300wm using Federal 215 primers and H4350 powder. I have plenty of bullets and brass as I stocked up during a Nosler sale pre covid. But now I’m down to 30 primers and without actually weighing my powder I’m guessing 20ish rounds worth left. I can’t find either anywhere. My rifle is close to sighted but needs one more shoot (3-6 bullets probably) and then I have 3 rifle hunts coming, one each month (Oct,Nov,Dec). I technically have enough probably but cutting it that close sure makes me uncomfortable. Hoping somebody has a lead on these? I live about 30min north of Denver if someone knows a local source. Thanks.
I have both and would share if you happen to be anywhere near SW Colorado. For some reason H4350 has been harder to find than IMR 4350, at least around here, if you find IMR 4350 back off 2 grains and work back to your load, usually the loads in my 300 WM are the most accurate are 2-3 grains below max. My best loads were with RL22 and RL19 so don't pass on either of those if you find them anywhere.

If you’re gonna shoot H4350 then you’d better learn to stock up, especially with the creedmoor craze going on right now. It tends to be the powder that runs out first in a craze, even faster than Varget. I use I4350 for this reason, but I still try to keep a good stock of it. I get nervous when I break into my last 8lb jug

If you were closer then I would offer to help you out with some federal magnum primers.

I have both and would share if you happen to be anywhere near SW Colorado. For some reason H4350 has been harder to find than IMR 4350, at least around here, if you find IMR 4350 back off 2 grains and work back to your load, usually the loads in my 300 WM are the most accurate are 2-3 grains below max. My best loads were with RL22 and RL19 so don't pass on either of those if you find them anywhere.

If you’re gonna shoot H4350 then you’d better learn to stock up, especially with the creedmoor craze going on right now. It tends to be the powder that runs out first in a craze, even faster than Varget. I use I4350 for this reason, but I still try to keep a good stock of it. I get nervous when I break into my last 8lb jug

If you were closer then I would offer to help you out with some federal magnum primers.
Thanks for the help and advice you two. If I make it to the SW I may hit you up. Thanks for the offer Mike. If H4350 is going to be hard to get I may switch. But between this being my first ever developed load and my range being an hour away changing powders makes me a little nervous. I did just pick up a chrono though so I can hopefully shorten future developments.

Mike, RL powders do show most accurate with e-tips in the Nosler load book. But I didn’t try them because the temp stability wasn’t near as good as Hodgden. Any problems with this?

Thanks for the help and advice you two. If I make it to the SW I may hit you up. Thanks for the offer Mike. If H4350 is going to be hard to get I may switch. But between this being my first ever developed load and my range being an hour away changing powders makes me a little nervous. I did just pick up a chrono though so I can hopefully shorten future developments.

Mike, RL powders do show most accurate with e-tips in the Nosler load book. But I didn’t try them because the temp stability wasn’t near as good as Hodgden. Any problems with this?
I tend to think temp stability can be overrated as a factor in load development as heat tends to be a bigger factor in erratic pressures (pushing near max loads too HOT) and most of our hunting time tends to be at temperatures that fall within stable performance temp ranges. I have had some experiences at the range with 90 degree ambient and direct sun on a plastic box of loads approaching max and blew a primer. Kept everything in the shade after that in summer, with magnum primers ignition at cooler temps is usually pretty consistent. Some of the older super slow ball powders were way more sensitive to cold weather ignition.

I have read really good things about Vihtavuori N555 powder. It’s similar to H4350 and supposed to be better and cleaner. Might give it a try. I ordered a couple pounds to try with my 6.5 since H4350 is hard to find

Check hodgdon's site for load data, they have a 4451 load for a 168 in 300 WM. Definitely don't be afraid to cross check many manufactures load data to find other powders that may work well.

Beyond that the manufacturers are still making powder & primers and shipping it out. Online sellers and LGS's ARE getting stock. Just this week I saw the hard to find powders AND primers show up locally and online (I scored a 8lb jug of RL26 this week online AND primers locally so its obviously possible!).

Now it'll probably be another 3-4 mos till new stock comes in BUT it is hitting stores over time, so unless you are burning through your components quickly then be patient and check everything often and consistently. You'll eventually be able to find what you need.

Personally I don't burn through components THAT fast and so I grab a handful of what I need or may need for upcoming projects and try not to go too crazy and contribute to the hoarding mentality (although I had a HARD time not ordering TWO 8lb jugs of RL26 the other day!).

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back