PEAX Equipment

Anyone else involved?

Bwana

Let me start off by saying that I know this isn't directly hunting-related, but in my book anything that gets kids involved in the shooting sports is a good thing.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else here is involved with high school trap shooting through the USA Clay Target League?

Two years ago North Dakota had four schools join the program. This year we are up to 38 schools with over 900 shooters.

A handful of adults all interested in starting a team here finally ended up getting in touch with each other and after a meeting with the superintendent of schools, we were able to get school board permission to start a team in all three public high schools. With only 3 days notice before the national sign-up deadline we were able to get 38 kids signed up.

We only have one week of league shooting left which will be followed by a fun night the evening of Memorial Day and then the state shoot is on June 17th.

It has been great to see the kids' confidence and shooting ability grow each week of this short season. I am truly impressed how far some of these kids have come, especially since most of them have never shot a round of trap before. Heck, quite a few had never even shot a shotgun.

Not sure why I am sharing but just wanted to hear if others were involved and what their experiences have been as well as looking for ideas to help fund something like this. Though the schools allowed us to use their names and logos, the entire cost of participating is the responsibility of the shooters and their families. Costs include safety gear, shell bag, targets, and shells as well as guns, though most either had one or were able to borrow one and then the expenses for attending the state shoot 200 miles away.

Anyway, enough rambling, but if you want to get involved in a cool sport that allows shooters from grades 6-12, boy or girl, athlete to someone in a wheelchair all to participate in the same sport, look into it. Seeing what this can do for the kids as well as the joy it brings to the coaches is just plain cool in my book and if it draws a few more kids into shooting and hunting, that can't be a bad thing.

(After re-reading this it sounds like a commercial which was not the intent and I have nothing to gain from this. I am only a parent who saw this as a great opportunity for kids who will never be a star athlete to be a part of a team plus they can learn a skill they can use throughout their life. Not only that, you should see the smile on your daughter's face when she goes from shooting 7 out of 50 the first week to shooting 17 out of 25 before the end of the season!)

Not quite high school trap, but my 8 year old is shooting rifle with the local 4H group. The group is supported by several local outdoor/shooting vendors and occasional NRA grants. You might contact some local sporting goods shops and/or ranges to gauge interest in supporting your group. A quick search for NRA Foundation grants will get you info on applying for grants. https://www.nrafoundation.org/grants/

Good luck! Great to hear about other folks getting their kids into shooting sports. :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back