Anyone else injured for the opener?

corndog1

I hope everyone out there today is having a good safe time. I am just sitting here needing a hip replacement that will be coming in January. I plan on field hunting waterfowl till then because the walk is "easy" maybe an antelope if can spot something within a mile stalk

Have had both hips replaced. Your life will be infinitely better in February but your timing sucks.

I'm about where you are. Had gall bladder surgery a little more than a week ago. My guts almost work again. I'm finally able to sleep in the bed. The horses are shod, the guns ate sighted in but the doc has limited me to 10lbs and my saddle weighs 46. My wife is camped on my butt and the last hot water tank I will ever need started leaking after 2 years. I'm trapped at the house waiting for an elk to walk by. My timing sucks too.

I am just sitting here needing a hip replacement that will be coming in January.
Wish the best for you. I am currently sitting on the sidelines, living within the awesome hunt stories shared here due to Surgeon ordered "Light Duty" status for twelve weeks from my surgery date (08/10). Discectomy w/ a bone spur grinding.

I'll buy the popcorn while we enjoy the "game" from the blechers this season.
Had gall bladder surgery a little more than a week ago.
Had my spleen and gall bladder yanked '10 due to a hereditary deal. I receive the "shots" every five years to aid my immune-compromised setting (spleen). I'm kind of a walking medical offshoot of a human at this point - They missed the Memo to re-build me as Lee Majors though. haha!

Staring down a 60+ hour week at work, wrapping up Sunday. Feels like I'm injured...
Get out there and jot the story down - PICS! Or... it didn't happen. Give us bleacher boys 'n gals (who may also be sidelined) something to read! :)

Well guys, make something up anyway. I'll read them. I enjoy the stories, even if they are BS.

Seriously, I hope you all get healthy. It sucks not feeling well.

I drew a Wyoming area #100 type 1 bull tag in the Red desert, I fell down again and injured my back (again) on the first day and couldn't walk. My son-in-law brought me back home the 3rd day of the season and I turned in my tag to the G&F disabled veterans program.
I've come to the realization that my hunting days are over. I did see 4 big bulls in a bachelor bunch in a dry greasewood filled wash that I could have stalked if I could walk. We saw bulls even on the way out to go home. But I sure wasn't going to shoot from the truck to get a bull. At least some deserving veteran will get to hunt bull elk in the desert, so it wasn't a waste at all.

I may have an LCL sprain, possibly a partial tear. I'm headed back for follow up early next week. I can carry about 50 lbs max, so if I arrow a deer I may be packing it out over several trips.

Fell a year ago hauling our the first quarter of the elk we got that day. Spun to face the hill, dropped to my knees, and the left knee landed on a rock. Thought little of it, but...

Turns out there is a spot in that knee with no cartilege. The fall pissed it off. Took most of the year to figure out what happened, and this past Thursday I got my first gel injection. Will have two in there before the hunt begins - will be moving slow, partly to keep from pissing it off and partly (mostly?) because I haven't been exercising like I wanted to. So, we'll see - I'll be out there, but the outcome remains to be seen.

Got a surgical truss to support my incision after I put a bandage over it to avoid abrasion. I saddled up a mare yesterday. The saddle weight exceeded my doctors recommendation but then again most of my gear weighs more than 10 lbs.

I sawed my way into a high meadow and out of it with my electric saw. I crosscut 7 drainages and went over a pass at 8000ft. The view was fantastic and the air was fabulous.

I had to cut my way to the road on the north side that was 7 miles away. I jumped one little bull but the rest was barren. A week and a half out of surgery I can honestly say I was very tired as was the horse. I rested today with the wind and will try it again tomorrow. Persistence gets the elk.

Yeah, the pain can kinda hurt in different ways. For the first time in 40 years I didn't go moose hunting. Had my neck fused n new eye lenses. After I had my shoulder replaced.
Hey used em too much when they were new. But it sure was fun. When the doctor asks if I remember hurting my neck I tell them how I was showing our daughter the most beautiful place in AK I have ever seen. On the side of a mountain.Where a river that carries 50 pound salmon that stack up in a glass pool. At the bottom of a waterfall that makes continuing upstream
impossible. And where her great grandfather, Whisperin Jack homesteaded in the early 50s.
Hey I had a family to feed n got up n went to work no matter bad it hurt. I knew I was writing checks that were going to come back some day. And they are.
Best advice is the slow game is the fast game.
You all asked for a story. So get my neck fused at end of June. Certainly by Sept I'm ready to go moose hunting right ? So my dear daughter takes ol dad out to our cabin. We unloaded the floatplane n said goodbye to the rest of the world.
Man that felt good.
She insists. I have my diddy bag/backpack I never leave home without n my wife's 06. Stainless barrel n synthetic lightweight stock. I got In another gun trade. Only. She has a 75 pound pack. And we have 3-4 black totes.
My beautiful wife can't walk much n now I'm getting older so we need atvs. I disassembled a Honda 185, 3 wheeler so I could fly it out in the 185. And a new air conditioner to mount on the generator shed so I have a walk in cooler. Hey da plane is always full when you're building a remote cabin.
So we hike north the 2 miles to the cabin. It's great. We stop often , look up at Denali n the AK range. Talkeetnas to the right. Visiting about how we can enjoy our cabin as a family. My next goal is Christmas or New Years at the cabin.
Anyhows I can drift a bit when I start thinking cabin. We get to the cabin. No bear break ins. Have a shot of whiskey on the front porch. Fire up our suzuki king quad n bring it around the front of the cabin. Hook up the coleman canoe freight sled n head out to get the rest of the load sitting beside the lake. Get fiddy feet n it dies. Daughter taught me a new trick n laid out the little tarp in the gear box down on the ground n we rolled it on to that in case we dropped any parts. And a tarp from the upper deck out to work under from the upper deck. I grab the tool box n instantly get reprimanded to sitting on the desk drinking the beverage of choice n doing moose calls from the deck. While she removes the pack boxes n plastics. Removes n rebuilds the carburetor n fuel pump n puts it back together. While I watch n give instruction.
We like the spruce hens around the cabin. They eat a lot of bugs. And the open dirt under the cabin is the only available pebbles for their craw n dusting. And they use it to get out of the rain. They also eat any mouse vole or shrew they see. So they are my pest control. I bring bags of sunflower seeds out n through them in the front yard. Great place to eat peanuts n drink beers too.
And watching them walking on top of the tarp was hilarious.
Wonderful daughter gets things running again.
The next day she gets things back together again n we do a hunt out in front of the cabin where her brother harvested his first moose. And I missed a huge white wolf. Watch the spruce hens playing in the yard.
Next day I need to head home.
We head out to go freight or load home. It pored hard n of corse the local bears have checked out our plastic totes. They didn't get in but cracked the tops open so,there was 3" of water in the totes. We get to the lake and I'm surprised to see our son on the plane. They had planned on this. So they could put up the firewood n clean up the cabin so I didn't have to. Taking the rains.
As we lift off from the lake the pilot circles back. I can look down n see our kids on the wheeler with the coleman filled with freight. Heading to our cabin. I can think back to when they were kids. They've been out in the bush since they were babies in diapers. Now it's dad's turn to chill. I can still look back n see them in freighting that load. And remember the feelings I had, as a dad. A very proud dad indeed.
When they got to unloading the totes full of water that got into the zip lock bags full of little parts. They laid everything out to dry n also made putting a 3 wheeler together in your kitchen much easier.
Hey I hope that helps a bit. And if I may give any advice it's live on your wins man. Lots more fun than thinking of my aches n pains.
I also like thinking about my beautiful wife. But what happens at the cabin stays at the cabinA5E47929-0FF4-4061-8F8D-022341F38EAF.jpeg9FC3BB07-74EE-4510-A880-FE4681E72857.jpeg83883BE4-7567-4CE8-ADE5-61F29C513A10.jpeg1FA4D45F-E2ED-4DCD-B11D-758295C56B55.jpeg
When they get to the cabin they are treated with a mid forties bull moose standing next to the generator shed when they roll up. Since we already had just spent a day processing a moose the day before. They probably wouldn't have harvested it anyhows. Me , if it was legal I'll find a way. Got families to feed kinda thing.

Yup one handed typer here, 4 days post left rotator cuff reconstruction (supra & infra). Never good timing, but at least i squeezed in 4 awesome hunts before i got knifed.

Archery elk
IMG_5654 (2).jpg

My buddy's goat hunt
IMG_4786.JPG
IMG_5992 (2).jpg

Antelope camp, 5 of 5 tags punched
Snapseed.jpg

IMG_6249 (2).jpg

MT youth deer hunt
Snapseed (1).jpg

Last edited:
Yup one handed typer here, 4 days post left rotator cuff reconstruction (supra & infra). Never good timing, but at least i squeezed in 4 awesome hunts before i got knifed.

Archery elk
View attachment 199930

My buddy's goat hunt
View attachment 199931
View attachment 199932

Antelope camp, 5 of 5 tags punched
View attachment 199933

View attachment 199936

MT youth deer hunt
View attachment 199937
Hey congratulations man on some great hunts. ! Got to spend time talking n making with your son. That's always the best. N hanging with buddies out on a hunt is fantastic. You're buddy got the shot but you got taste. What a win win man

Back