MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anyone else hunting the NE corner of NM

My son and I will be rifle hunting on an assigned ranch in unit 59 near Clayton the last weekend in August.

We will be on the Poling / Minnie Butte Corp ranch. Do you know anything about it?

When you apply for antelope in NM with a rifle in certain areas (maybe all, don't remember) you will be assigned a private ranch to hunt on. It has to do with NM's landowner permits. In order for a ranch to get landowner permits that they can sell, they have to allow a certain number of public hunters through the draw on the ranch. Supposedly the draw hunters have the same rights as the for-pay hunters. Heard some horror stories, heard some good stories. Stay tuned.

jabber

I don't know that ranch right off hand, but I bet I have driven by it or close anyway. I will look on my map to see if I actually have.
I have been searching out mostly statelands, so the ranches I have just mental notes for the most part. I hope everything goes well on your hunt. I do know that when searching out public lands some of the ranchers have been receptive and other's its a money deal so they have been less receptive as to gaining access...I know on your type of hunt if you have problems that you are supposed to report that and I think it affects any future LO tags for them, but I don't know all that for sure just heard that.

jabber, I checked my map and I have been in the Minne Butte area driving around(near Bueyeros), I did see some nice lopes out there, but as soon as I say that they will run somewhere else. Minne Butte is up on the 'mesa" and is real pretty up there lots of terrain you should have fun.

Thanks for the info, at least I have a little ideal of where it is now. All they have sent so far was unit 59. I did find it in the landowner tags info and saw that they have over 14,000 acres. We will be the only public hunters, the ranch has 8 private tags that they have a couple of weeks that they can be used in.

Im not famliar with the rifle tag info, but if you can locate ranch owner or the ranch forman's phone number call them and start a rapor with them that always helps too...I looked again and if that ranch is near the Minne Butte area that is neat country..

Back