anyone did a public land kansas deer hunt

pseshooter300

Anyone did a public land whiteail deer hunt? Never hunted kansas heard a lot of good things but never really heard a lot of talk about public land. Is there pretty good amounts of public land in Kansas?

I have done walk-in hunting three times. Those are not public, but are private lands the state leases and opens them up to hunters who will walk in. It can be good and it can be not so good. If you hit it right and have a good year, it can be really good.

You can get a map of the enrolled properties off the KWP website.

Non-Resident hunters do not have the mobility as Residents do when choosing their deer units. My "any whitetail deer" (buck tag) is good statewide. Non-Residents pick a deer unit, (and IIRC an adjacent unit is included) and hunt there. Online maps (and there hard copy ones found at any sporting goods/ Wallie world type stores) are good for showing WIHA lands, State wildlife areas and Federal as well. The WIHA are generally divided into a September-end of January time frame, and November to January access. The WIHA mean just that.....WALK in. Most blocks are less than 1 square mile in the eastern and central parts of the state. Larger blocks are found out west. More land is enrolled in the western areas of the state.

Of states in the midwest Kansas does a fine job of managing the herd as well as maintaining thier property for wildlife habitat. They have corn, milo, and wheat on the state land where I have hunted. Also lots of ag land in the walk in areas. I have seen good phesant, turkey, whitetail, and in some cases mule deer on accessible land. I think archery is the best about the second week of nov. Also a early muzzy season in sept, if you don't tag out you can come back during gun in Dec and hunt with your muzzy as well. Watch out for the phesant opener as the hotels will be booked up but the deer will be moving.

They have a download for your gps.
http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/KDWPT...y-Atlas/GPS-Information-Files-Updated-3-27-12

http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Where-to-Hunt-in-Kansas

Last edited:
Keep in mind if you don't have a tag yet they are complety sold out, just talked to them last week trying to trow together a last minute deer hunt. Forget about this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back