Anyone build a plywood bed platform/divider?

Yes, in a Chevy. We did it in a horizontal plane with the bottom of the bed. Idea was we could sleep in there and still store stuff. The Chevy actually had 3 detents on each side molded into the side of the bed that a 2x6 fit into perfectly. Used it on our very first antelope hunt. It was a good idea but was a PIA.
Ripped it out as soon as we got home and never did it again. Now we use a tent.

I am considering a DIY project for Doug. Anyone done anything like this?
Kind of thought this was an interesting way to go to get around wheelwells and what not. Saw it while on Craigslist one day and screenshotted it for a future idea.

Attachments

• 16F08DF4-A312-441A-A73E-AAC998296AE4.png
    16F08DF4-A312-441A-A73E-AAC998296AE4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
  • BA67FE7C-D66E-4042-A42A-A6E2664D05E2.png
    BA67FE7C-D66E-4042-A42A-A6E2664D05E2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
That's a fancy way of doing it for sure !!
I just used 2x4 and plywood and a thick piece of foam ! Perfect for my special Elk tag one season ! I have a 8' box that gave me lots of room for a solo hunt .

MT.PERCHMAN

I have done this for several years now in my silverado. I did make it so the plywood was in 3 pieces and all held together with 4 total screws so it is easily removable when not needed. The center section is not attached to the 2x6 supports so I slide it out and get to the front of the bed easily without having to crawl underneath. My fiberglass topper is insulated enough to sleep very comfortably in cooler temps.

I've been using this set up for two years now. Plenty of storage underneath. 5" memory foam on top for sleeping. Far warmer sleeping than my old camp pad directly on the truck bed. Biggest complaint is my topper roof is not high enough to allow me to sit fully upright on my bed.

Attachments

• 20180428_150737.jpg
    20180428_150737.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 146
I stole Kaitum's idea and did the same thing in my truck. I have the topper height issue also. With a high roof topper it would be better, but works ok as is. mtmuley

Have use this type setup for over 15 years on 3 trucks. Biggest complaint is the short beds on the newer trucks. The camper top is flat on my new truck it works but extra head room is nice. 107751

Yes, similar to Blowdown's pictured above. Side by side drawers full length. Small boxes in each corner that are not connected to main box can take out easily. Adjustments had to be cut into small boxes to accommodate wheel well humps other than that pretty easy. Glued carpet remnant for top, removed this year thinking about replacing with an outdoor turf of some sort. I've used same box for over fifteen years, keep clean and dry out if they get wet . They will last

1/2" Plywood. Was going to put two drawers, but my bow case fits pretty snug in one of the drawer compartments so I use it like that for now. Rigged up a Blue Sea panel in the back to access 12v power from my aux battery.

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 01.15.09.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-12 at 01.15.17.png

1/2" Plywood. Was going to put two drawers, but my bow case fits pretty snug in one of the drawer compartments so I use it like that for now. Rigged up a Blue Sea panel in the back to access 12v power from my aux battery.

View attachment 108016View attachment 108017

I'm looking at doing something similar to this soon. One concern I do have is weight. Any idea of about how much your set up weighs?

Take a look at some of the set ups on a site like Expedition Portal. Many idea - some very well executed and some very extravagant. The examples here look good also - a bit more down to earth and functional than the lengths some folks go to that are into 'overlanding'.

I'm looking at doing something similar to this soon. One concern I do have is weight. Any idea of about how much your set up weighs?
I did the same thing and it definitely adds weight. Plus all the gear that youll throw back there and leave adds more. Ill post pics later.

When I had a pickup I used to just put a shelf on the top of the bed that covered about 1/3 of the area closest to the cab. I had a 4" foam mattress out of a tent trailer that I rolled up and stored under the shelf. While driving the gear went in the bed of the truck. When sleeping the gear went on the shelf and I rolled the mattress out to sleep. Having my feet under the shelf worked fine. I could have covered half the bed of the truck with the shelf and still been able to get in and out of my sleeping bag but my gear fit on the smaller shelf pretty well.

I am close to dropping this guy into my '08 Silverado.
-3/4" plywood framework and top
- HDPE sheet on the bottom to tie bottom of vertical supports together and allow easy sliding of the drawers
- sheet metal boxes, 65" long
- roll-on bedliner to protect it from the elements and abuse
- total investment is roughly $200 and of course time

Attachments

• IMG_20190820_194135147.jpg
    IMG_20190820_194135147.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190820_193903221.jpg
    IMG_20190820_193903221.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
I am close to dropping this guy into my '08 Silverado.
-3/4" plywood framework and top
- HDPE sheet on the bottom to tie bottom of vertical supports together and allow easy sliding of the drawers
- sheet metal boxes, 65" long
- roll-on bedliner to protect it from the elements and abuse
- total investment is roughly $200 and of course time
what roll on bedliner did you use?

HERCULINER, I bought it at Menards, roughly $65-ish. It came in a kit with roller, scotchbrite pad and roller covers.
I primed the wood prior to application, I used KILLS primer, only because that was what I already had on-hand for exterior grade primer.
I applied two coats and it looks really good, there is easily enough to do one more coat.

Back