Anyone able to answer a question about where we stand with hiking trails in the crazies?

Luke_with_a_lab

Hey all,

I've been poking around in the crazies this summer and have a couple trails left to check out yet. Just curious if there is anyone on here that is up to date on some of the hiking trails on the east side. There are a couple that go through private that seem..... lets say.....contentious. Forest service shows them as open for hiking on their use maps. Before I go check them out I just wanted to see if anyone could let me know if I'm walking into a firestorm.. Feel free to PM and I'll let you know what trails in particular. Much appreciated!

I assume you've read through these?

I assume you've read through these?
Yeah I did. Im most confused about trail 136. In those threads people are saying its contested/ you be given a ticket by the sheriff. Does the Forest service show it to be open on their interactive maps just to keep the claim on it open?

Yeah I did. Im most confused about trail 136. In those threads people are saying its contested/ you be given a ticket by the sheriff. Does the Forest service show it to be open on their interactive maps just to keep the claim on it open?
That is certainly possible, but I'm not one to answer. You could try calling the FS and ask really blunt questions, you MAY get an actual answer.

Many of trails in the Crazies existed before the USFS existed. They were used by miners, loggers, hunters/trappers, etc. Some were created using public money, many maintained using public money and used by the public for generations. Until recently the USFS defend these trails as legal and public via established law of prescriptive easement. That trail is "contested" because hostile landowners (I'm borrowing that term from the USFS in court earlier this year) have erected illegal obstructions daring the public to defend its rights. The USFS marked these trails on maps in their 2006 travel management plan and defend that plan in court, and won. Unfortunately their position on these trails (including 136) changed in 2016/2017 after politicians got involved on behalf of their buddies and special interests who have other plans for the Crazies. In court earlier this year the USFS admitted they believed these trials to be public but decided to allow the illegal obstructions to remain, abandoning public trails behind closed doors without a public process. It is possible to get a trespassing ticket while using these trails and the USFS will not provide help even though these trails are marked as public on their travel management plan.

Many of trails in the Crazies existed before the USFS existed. They were used by miners, loggers, hunters/trappers, etc. Some were created using public money, many maintained using public money and used by the public for generations. Until recently the USFS defend these trails as legal and public via established law of prescriptive easement. That trail is "contested" because hostile landowners (I'm borrowing that term from the USFS in court earlier this year) have erected illegal obstructions daring the public to defend its rights. The USFS marked these trails on maps in their 2006 travel management plan and defend that plan in court, and won. Unfortunately their position on these trails (including 136) changed in 2016/2017 after politicians got involved on behalf of their buddies and special interests who have other plans for the Crazies. In court earlier this year the USFS admitted they believed these trials to be public but decided to allow the illegal obstructions to remain, abandoning public trails behind closed doors without a public process. It is possible to get a trespassing ticket while using these trails and the USFS will not provide help even though these trails are marked as public on their travel management plan.
Thanks for response. It's so frustrating that the forest service gives up on trying to defend/ keep open the trail once a couple politicians get involved. Its also disheartening the politicians get involved on the side of the landowners. Someone remind me again exactly how our elected officials stand for public land and public hunting like they claim to when its an election year for them........

Back