Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anybody stick carp?

mtmiller

One of my favorite past times during the late spring is to shoot carp. I shot a few small ones while growing up in western South Dakota, but really got into it when I went to college in the eastern part of the state and found some bigger ones. It was not unusual for me and a friend to shoot over 50 in an afternoon between the two of us.

Here is a shot of a pretty good one from 1997.
97_carp_SD_1.sized.jpg

When I moved to Montana in '98 I was lucky enough to live within 10 miles of one of the best big carp reserviors in the state. Here are a couple of pictures from 2000 and 2002.
00_carp_MT_1.sized.jpg

02_carp_MT_1.sized.jpg

As you can tell, the water levels were very low and made carpin' tough. Last summer we got some good moisture late, flooding some good vegetation areas. Should be a good spring.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-09-2003 12:14: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

Those are huge..... Great pics

I have shot them with the bow and its a blast.... Ive also shot them with my 300 winmag and thats a blast also
smile.gif

Delw

2fastnaz-yes I only shoot carp with a bow.

Big fun when you hit one solid in the back and they take off running. I have had a few string burns from a running 30 pounder. I am looking forward to this spring. Should be some hogs and there aren't that many folks around here shooting them. Most of them are just laughing at me when they drive by. Oh well, I am an easy target.
biggrin.gif

Those are great pics..Soon I hope to be partaking in the same event..just looking for a bow that isn't way to strong..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey MT, I shoot them too! I love them in the spring when they are spawning.
There are a lot of tourneys here for them. The best one is in green bay on lake Michigan. There are always a few 50#ers taken and lots in the 30lb class.
They haul in the biggest dumpster they can (20yrd?) and on a good year that is overflowing. what a riot, if they are really spawning there are a bunch of sandy islands that they go up on and i just take my line off and pin them to the bottom. if they get off who cares! Only thing that sucks is the mess you get in the boat, spaws flies everywhere. I haul garbage cans out there but the shit gets all over at times.
If anyone is really loking for a good time check out green bay in the first part of june!!!!

Fifty pounds, now that would be a riot. The lake I shoot has the state record for carp (40.2#) and big mouth buffalo (57.12#). These are hook and line records and I am sure there are plenty of big fish lurking in there.

My best to this point is 32 pounds. Hopefully in 2003 I can break 35 #'s.

There is some truth to the saying "big water big fish" And they dont get bigger than the great lakes! I never got a 40# plus one myself but plenty do up there. Its like you either go out in deeper water and try for size or stay shallow and shoot non-stop on 15-30lb pigs. I prefer the fast action.

I found another carp picture that is pretty cool. These were shot by three college buddies (one of which is Troy Jones from this board). I was not able to make it out this day, but apparently they did alright anyway.
wink.gif

Sorry about the quality of the picture. It is a little dark, but you get the idea.

SD_carp.sized.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-23-2003 09:38: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

Some of the best times I've ever had was stickin' carp. That day we ended up with 204. I use a PSE black hawk heritage takedown recurve with 200 lb. test on a zero drag reel. Nothing like skipping your college classes, walleye fishing in the morning and carp stickin' in the afternoon. Top it all off with a fish fry, playing cards and drinking. What happened to all the fun we had Miller?

Clear Lake, CA in Lake County used to sponcer an annual carp shoot with archery gear. Prizes for most gross weight of fish taken, largest single fish, etc.

I went twice, didn't win anything but had a ball. We buried our catch in the garden. Great fertilizer. Hey, worms gotta eat, too!
Jack

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back