Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Anybody know anything about the .30 carbine?

My grandad was able to ship/smuggle his home somehow after WWII, in pieces I believe, I wish it was in my safe just for nostalgia...

I had a paratrooper model with the folding stock before The Great Boating Accident. :oops:

Love shooting it! Easy to reload for!
30 round mags are available.

Don't under estimate the power the 30 carbine has.

Last edited:
As with all military guns of that vintage, bore corrosion can be a problem. USGI ammo had corrosive primers. If the soldier did not follow their cleaning regimen, their guns would rust up quickly.
This is true of nearly all firearms of that period EXCEPT the M1 carbine. It used noncorrosive ammo from its beginnings, which is one reason troops, especially in the Pacific, loved it — super easy to keep clean.

I’d also argue that it was far from useless in a fight. The .30 carbine round isn’t the .30-06, but it wasn’t meant to replace the Garand, it was meant to replace the .45 ACP in a 1911 pistol.

Just ask my peccary.

32131201248_0ccc50a448_o.jpeg

This is true of nearly all firearms of that period EXCEPT the M1 carbine. It used noncorrosive ammo from its beginnings, which is one reason troops, especially in the Pacific, loved it — super easy to keep clean.

I’d also argue that it was far from useless in a fight. The .30 carbine round isn’t the .30-06, but it wasn’t meant to replace the Garand, it was meant to replace the .45 ACP in a 1911 pistol.

Just ask my peccary.

View attachment 275315
I was the small arms NCO in my unit in Germany Had an 8'x8' unit full of M-1 carbines. Had a rule everyone had to clean their weapon once a month, most I didn't have a problem with but one guy came a got his to clean early on and wrapped it in celophane. Took it off and made hium re-clean it. Unit commander backed me up 100%, The guy was miffed! Some of us used them to hunt deer over there. Smaqll Rae Bucks but from what I saw I think the carbine would make a pretty good first deer rifle for a new person. Wrote the ammo off as target practice. Was a very handy rifle and I'm not an auto loader fan. Only difference between it and the M2 carbine is the M2 has the full auto selector lever. I've seen the M2 but never shot one. As I recall, the M2 had the same rate of fire as the M16!

Cool read...
I acquired an M-1 Carbine in Vietnam and carried it attached to my flight bag in the Huey aircraft everywhere I flew. It was a much better weapon than the 38 cal pistol I was issued.
'Really regret not somehow shipping that nice rifle back when I came home.

I acquired an M-1 Carbine in Vietnam and carried it attached to my flight bag in the Huey aircraft everywhere I flew. It was a much better weapon than the 38 cal pistol I was issued.
'Really regret not somehow shipping that nice rifle back when I came home.
Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

@mtmuley ,

So not being able to find jacketed bullets for my M1 Carbine, local wholesaler/ distributor told me about Missouri Bullets having solid lead bullets designed for the M1 Carbine.
And they were cheap!
Problem is instead of 110gr, they are 115gr. And Missouri doesn't have reloading data for them.
Lyman does though.
Loaded up some with H110.

Took the rifle out yesterday. Hit steel turkey 3 out of 5 rounds at 150 meters.
Not bad for my old eyes & open sights.

I have some ammo and brass. FIL put a red dot on it but original peep sight is included. Underwood manufacture. mtmuley
Did he drill it to mount the red dot? If so, expect that would negatively affect the value.

Back