Caribou Gear Tarp

Anybody know anything about the .30 carbine?

mtmuley

I have a .30 carbine I need to sell for my Father in Law. I know zero about these rifles and establishing their value. I looked up where it was made and will post it if it makes a difference. I can post pics if someone wants. mtmuley

It does make a difference if it is an original complete gun and not a random parts-bin gun. Can be worth some money in good condition. My late dad sold his years ago for about 1300. IBM was the maker I think?? Also super fun to shoot so why get rid of it?

These are worth what someone is willing to pay for the right one.

Don't be in a hurry to sell this until you have educated yourself. There is a huge collector market for them if they are from one of the right WWII manufactures and all the pieces have matching serial numbers. Not so much a Universal or other commercial piece made post-war. Those too have gotten steep, though.

These collectors geek out on the right sights, safety button, mag release, bayonet lug, you name it. Each style part was made in a specific date range and there are websites that you can get lost in studying the variations.

USGI guns that were made in the US but "re-imported" will have an import stamp on the underside of the barrel. This will pull the price down some, but it depends how rare a variant it is. War bring-backs that have not been arsenal rebuilt command the highest prices. These guns would have all the components stamped with the same serial number, no import stamp, and have the correct mix of parts based on the date of manufacture.

When the guns were factory built, each key component got stamped with a sub-contractor's ID stamp. Specific manufacturers fitted the sub-contracted parts into a working gun. All those parts got the same serial number stamped on them. After use in battle, GI armorers would mix and match components to service the weapons. Post-war, the inventory was re-worked again, resulting in more parts swapping.

An all original "museum quality" safe queen can pull down more than $4000. It would need collector bona fides letters of authenticity, etc.

I have a nearly all original IBM with 95% matching parts, but a re-import stamp. Carried in war and shooter quality. I paid upwards of $1000.
I have a buddy who bought a 100% unfired original IBM presented to a WWII General, with letters of presentation, etc. Over $4000.

On a side note, My FIL carried one in Europe in WWII. He always said they were great for shooting grouse and rabbits to supplement GI rations, but useless in a fight.

Last edited:
As with all military guns of that vintage, bore corrosion can be a problem. USGI ammo had corrosive primers. If the soldier did not follow their cleaning regimen, their guns would rust up quickly.

If you decide to shoot it, be aware that there is still a lot of that ammo in circulation. It shoots great still, but you need to tear down the weapon and clean it thoroughly after a shooting session.

We sold an Islander with no know ties to the war for 2600 at auction. It was in ok shape. Not pristine by any means.

@mtmuley

Does it look just like the one in the GB listing? No Bayonet lug?

There are actually states (Virginia and New York for sure.) that consider these an "Assault Weapon" if they have the bayonet lug. There may be other nitwit laws I do not know about that make the Carbine illegal in some places.

Once you've researched the value, you might consider using a consignment seller.

@mtmuley

Does it look just like the one in the GB listing? No Bayonet lug?

There are actually states (Virginia and New York for sure.) that consider these an "Assault Weapon" if they have the bayonet lug. There may be other nitwit laws I do not know about that make the Carbine illegal in some places.

Once you've researched the value, you might consider using a consignment seller.
This one has the lug. mtmuley

My dad has one, it’s a very fun little rifle. It was one of my favorite rifles to carry around as a kid, I shot a few coyotes with it. Reminds me of an upsized 10/22.

They have so many variables. You probably need to check with some ww2 collectors. They can be cheap guns are really expensive.

Back