Anybody buy there MT tags yet?

Our crew is now fighting with Antelope Party Applications. I set up the party but the others are not able to add their names...site says to review the application but the page is blank. Luckily we have a few months.

I applied and was able to print off the license portion, it said the carcass tags would be mailed to me. We'll see...

Here's what I posted on March 10. Still no bear tag. Starting to get worried. Has anyone who purchased early had one mailed to them? I got all the rest on about March 7, but not bear. Hoping not to have to wait for a long time on hold to get incorrect info again.

Thanks,

Jim
Bought mine on the 4th and got it a week ago.

I put in for non-res Big Game Combo and have not received anything yet - neither email confirmation nor anything in the mail. Just the transaction on my credit card. I applied March 1. USPS daily email today (if you’ve not signed up for this, it’s pretty cool - they send you an email every day with images of what mail you have coming) indicated that I have something coming from MT FWP. We'll see if it’s my license.

Received my carcuss tags today from MTFWP. All on 9 1/2” x 11” white letter paper. Guess it will be necessary to put each and all individual sandwich bags. Then carry a roll of electrical tape to secure to animal. Good enough. MTG

That’s what I’ve always done so it’ll be no different for me. I stuff a ziplock bag with several mor ziplock bags and couple rolls of electrical tape . Someone in the group always needs tape or a bag so I pack plenty . Bags work best but we’ve improvised and used paper towels , candy wrappers , think I used a brown glove once . My dad used a empty Doritos bag once . Whatever works I guess

Applied for permits and bought deer, elk and turkey tag March 21st. I was able to print out my hunting license but received the same notification that my kill tags would be mailed to me. Still nothing today, on opening day of turkey season. I understand the Covid situation is an impossible circumstance to prepare for, but what a dumpster fire this has become.

Montana could solve the tag situation pretty easily by hunters not having to attach the tag to the animal.

I like that about Wyoming, we have the same tagging requirement as Montana, but as long as the person who took the animal is the one transporting it, you can keep the tag in your pack, pocket, etc. and doesn't have to be attached to the animal.

Montana could solve the tag situation pretty easily by hunters not having to attach the tag to the animal.

I like that about Wyoming, we have the same tagging requirement as Montana, but as long as the person who took the animal is the one transporting it, you can keep the tag in your pack, pocket, etc. and doesn't have to be attached to the animal.
I like that idea also. Even though I hunt Montana, the tag goes in my pocket until the game is secured in a vehicle so it doesn't get rubbed off, blown off, or otherwise misplaced. Typically hunting alone, I have to transport the game in various size elements, so if the tag is in my pocket I don't have to consternate about what part of the game it should stay with. I haven't been questioned or cited, but technically I guess I am in violation.

I put in for non-res Big Game Combo and have not received anything yet - neither email confirmation nor anything in the mail. Just the transaction on my credit card. I applied March 1. USPS daily email today (if you’ve not signed up for this, it’s pretty cool - they send you an email every day with images of what mail you have coming) indicated that I have something coming from MT FWP. We'll see if it’s my license.

Most likely mailing you the regulations. As the draw for NR is this coming week.

Most likely mailing you the regulations. As the draw for NR is this coming week.
It’s not regulations or license . They only send regs book to successful applicants and your aren’t because they haven’t drawn yet

I like that idea also. Even though I hunt Montana, the tag goes in my pocket until the game is secured in a vehicle so it doesn't get rubbed off, blown off, or otherwise misplaced. Typically hunting alone, I have to transport the game in various size elements, so if the tag is in my pocket I don't have to consternate about what part of the game it should stay with. I haven't been questioned or cited, but technically I guess I am in violation.
This makes me think of “the old days” when the tags were numbered metal bands that you put on a buck’s antlers or thru a doe’s hind leg tendon. At least that’s how it was done in most midwestern states. My dad was a B&C / P&Y official scorer, and of the hundreds of whitetail mounts that came thru our living room, most of them had a metal tag on them. If they didn’t, then my dad asked lots of questions.

We also had check stations back in those days where you had to check in your kill. I remember taking my first buck at 12 yrs old, and the joy and pride I felt when checking that deer in and how all the old timers hanging out at the check station came up to check it out and congratulate me. Deer season was a boom for those little carry outs / bait shops that hosted check points, and where everyone hung out to see the deer coming in. The digital age has made life more convenient, but it has also greatly depersonalize a lot of things. I’m not trying to turn back the clock, just feeling a bit nostalgic today...:)

But ever since I started hunting out west with the paper tags, I’ve always questioned why they didn’t use the metal tags. Just seems like a better system to me.

I haven't been questioned or cited, but technically I guess I am in violation.
I agree with Buzz and SA re: tag placement.
Straight Arrows last sentence however, I have been questioned about it.
Thankfully my tag was notched for the same day while dragging it out.
The warden advised me it is required to be attached at the site and transported w/ tag attached. When he checked my tag and saw it notched appropriately it seemed to mellow out the situation. I shared why, he shared he understood and no citation or warning (other than verbal) was given.

This is when I began wrapping my end barrel with enough electrical tape to remove enough to wrap the tag tight around the antler, sliced through the ear and wrapped tight or attached to one of the game bags knotted at the top.

It is what it is and while I don't expect to be cited with an appropriately notched tag in my pocket while getting it out of the woods, I've been advised and will follow the regs, as best I can. In fact, I may snap a pic as well just in case it does accidentally come off.

License Validation/Tagging
(MCA 87-6-411)
• A hunter must cut out the proper month
and day of the kill from the appropriate
license and attach it to the animal before
the carcass is removed from the site of
the kill, or before the hunter leaves the
site of the kill.

This makes me think of “the old days” when the tags were numbered metal bands that you put on a buck’s antlers or thru a doe’s hind leg tendon. At least that’s how it was done in most midwestern states. My dad was a B&C / P&Y official scorer, and of the hundreds of whitetail mounts that came thru our living room, most of them had a metal tag on them. If they didn’t, then my dad asked lots of questions.

But ever since I started hunting out west with the paper tags, I’ve always questioned why they didn’t use the metal tags. Just seems like a better system to me.
I remember when Utah had metal tags....progress I guess (if one can call it that)

I agree with Buzz and SA re: tag placement.
Straight Arrows last sentence however, I have been questioned about it.
Thankfully my tag was notched for the same day while dragging it out.
The warden advised me it is required to be attached at the site and transported w/ tag attached. When he checked my tag and saw it notched appropriately it seemed to mellow out the situation. I shared why, he shared he understood and no citation or warning (other than verbal) was given.

This is when I began wrapping my end barrel with enough electrical tape to remove enough to wrap the tag tight around the antler, sliced through the ear and wrapped tight or attached to one of the game bags knotted at the top.

It is what it is and while I don't expect to be cited with an appropriately notched tag in my pocket while getting it out of the woods, I've been advised and will follow the regs, as best I can. In fact, I may snap a pic as well just in case it does accidentally come off.

If Montana is going to continue on the "tag must be attached to the carcass", they should look into the tags that AZ has. Tough as nails, no way to lose them, and once the two sides are stuck together, no way to cheat the system.

I just think the new regular paper tags are going to be a joke.

I'll deal with it, probably only have one tag in Montana for the most part from here on out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back