Any-Species Western Big Game Hunt - Season Advice?

Whitetail over Thanksgiving would be my first choice. Spring bear somewhere with a mild climate the first week of April would be fun too.

South Dakota deer over Thanksgiving break and Nebraska deer over Christmas break.

Idaho's spring bear goes until June 30, I got mine last year around the 25th. Also could look into muzzleloader hunts for cow elk for the Thanksgiving break.

Reactions: LCH
I’ve been lurking here since June and planned my first out of state hunt with help from members here (pheasants and quail in Nebraska).

I’d love to hunt big-game out west, but I’m a high school principal in Michigan and have a really structured work schedule. I get a lot of time off, so I’m not complaining, but the days aren’t flexible. Once Labor Day hits, days off work are basically a three day weekend in October, a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off for Thanksgiving, and two-weeks off around Christmas. I also get spring break, which is usually the first week of April.

Any idea what I could start narrowing in on for those date ranges? I’m not looking for spots - just seasons. I’m open to anything but am not a bow-hunter.

Thank you!
As a teacher I appreciate your predicament. Do you get any personal days or leave that you can take? For one of my favorite deer hunts and fall turkey hunts I take my 3 days vacation days off next to a weekend. Leave on a plane Friday night. Hunt Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Fly home Wednesday. This could work for deer or antelope.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I guess I need to start doing my research now.

If you like the idea of sitting water with a bow in 100 degree heat, look at California Blacktail. Rifle Opens in Aug If you are interested in landowner tags you can find some places who will offer November hunts. That is usually an outfitted deal though

There are still some late season deer hunts Thanksgiving in the Idaho Panhandle. Mostly Whitetail but there are some Muleys scattered.

Coues deer around New years in NM and AZ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back