Any-Species Western Big Game Hunt - Season Advice?

PawPawWPG

I’ve been lurking here since June and planned my first out of state hunt with help from members here (pheasants and quail in Nebraska).

I’d love to hunt big-game out west, but I’m a high school principal in Michigan and have a really structured work schedule. I get a lot of time off, so I’m not complaining, but the days aren’t flexible. Once Labor Day hits, days off work are basically a three day weekend in October, a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off for Thanksgiving, and two-weeks off around Christmas. I also get spring break, which is usually the first week of April.

Any idea what I could start narrowing in on for those date ranges? I’m not looking for spots - just seasons. I’m open to anything but am not a bow-hunter.

Thank you!

Thanksgiving break maybe Montana deer.
Christmas break Wyoming or New Mexico cow elk. Take an extra day (if possible) and make the three day weekend a little longer for antelope?

If you want to do elk you could try first season in CO. It’s a five day season around the 10th of Oct. or the 4th season for deer or elk which is over thanksgiving this year. I think.

August;
Colorado Hugh country deer.
OTC archery deer in AZ

Shoot a cow elk with a spotted calf in a hayfield in Montana. Okay, maybe not that.

Nevada and Utah deer too.
Probably more options I’m not thinking of.

Dang that's late.

So you don't go back until after Labor Day then? Bear in Colorado comes in the first week of September.
Yeah, I go in a few weeks before and few weeks after the kids.

Reactions: LCH
I would look into WY. There are cow elk and antelope hunts that start Aug 15. Would be super cool thing to do before you start up school.

Good suggestions above regarding late cow hunts in December, thanksgiving deer in Montana. All doable with a year or so of planning. Several states have cow elk rifle hunts that start in early August but you need to be on or within a certain distance of private or agricultural lands. These might take some work to figure out. Some fall bear hunts (like Oregon) start in August and Colorado's is early Sept as mentioned above.

For the long-game: Utah, Nevada, and Oregon have August rifle pronghorn hunts but may take many years to draw.

AZ Coues deer late rifle season is usually about Dec 13-31. You gotta apply and your draw odds are poor with 0 points, but you could get lucky.

I would look into WY. There are cow elk and antelope hunts that start Aug 15. Would be super cool thing to do before you start up school.

Id second the Wyoming option. Rifle antelope is open in most units during the Columbus day weekend in October. That's how I get to take my high school son on hunting trips. Might need a couple points to get a good unit but with the proper planning you can hunt a zero point area.

I’ve been lurking here since June and planned my first out of state hunt with help from members here (pheasants and quail in Nebraska).

I’d love to hunt big-game out west, but I’m a high school principal in Michigan and have a really structured work schedule. I get a lot of time off, so I’m not complaining, but the days aren’t flexible. Once Labor Day hits, days off work are basically a three day weekend in October, a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off for Thanksgiving, and two-weeks off around Christmas. I also get spring break, which is usually the first week of April.

Any idea what I could start narrowing in on for those date ranges? I’m not looking for spots - just seasons. I’m open to anything but am not a bow-hunter.

Thank you!
Definitely come hunt some rutting November bucks in MT.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back