Any saddle hunters on HT?

Okay, so question. What's to stop a guy from getting these then climbing and strapping on a platform and sitting in a saddle? Seems like it'd take away most of the setup time. Obviously not going to work for everyone as climbing trees with spikes like this requires some athleticism but that would make these saddles the most versatile things out there.
Nothing at all unless your rules don't allow you to use spikes?, I have seen other guys using them to good success just climb using the spikes and a good linemans rope your good to go, I would still use a good saddle though for comfort. regards wayne

Nothing at all unless your rules don't allow you to use spikes?, I have seen other guys using them to good success just climb using the spikes and a good linemans rope your good to go, I would still use a good saddle though for comfort. regards wayne
Thanks Wayne, I'd still use a saddle for comfort for sure. Just seems like a slick way to get up there quickly!

Okay, so question. What's to stop a guy from getting these then climbing and strapping on a platform and sitting in a saddle? Seems like it'd take away most of the setup time. Obviously not going to work for everyone as climbing trees with spikes like this requires some athleticism but that would make these saddles the most versatile things out there.

Nothing really....except the damage is sometimes considered illegal on public land. On private it's regarded as one of the fasted climbing methods.

My dad used his telephone company issued climbing spurs for years to hunt from tree stands. They’d be ideal for a saddle hunter who is willing to accept the risks that come with using that sort of equipment. To be good they apparently take a lot of practice, I’ve thought about trying them but dad has discouraged me with stories of his falls and close calls while using them.

I’ve hunted in Arkansas out of a saddle for about ten years now. I love it and won’t ever switch back. I have used about every climbing method there is and have settled on climbing with one stick because I am always tethered in and seems the safest. Spikes are the fastest but worried about spiking out. Wild edge steps work great but are finicky. Hand climbing is great but has to have the right trees.

I was contemplating getting one and using it in combination with my lone wolf climber bottom. But After seeing a guy use one for climbing I changed my mind.

Its an intesting concept but even with a tree with branches it is still a giant pain.

@clint6760 ”climbing with one stick” ? I’m not following, like one set of sticks or literally one stick?

Literally one stick. Climb up to the top and set your tether, hang off to the side and move your stick up the tree. Rinse and repeat. I've messed around with it but it's too much of a hassle compared to the wild edge steps I currently use. Definitely a lightweight way to go about it though.

Literally one stick. Climb up to the top and set your tether, hang off to the side and move your stick up the tree. Rinse and repeat. I've messed around with it but it's too much of a hassle compared to the wild edge steps I currently use. Definitely a lightweight way to go about it though.
Ok thanks I get it now.

Second year using a home made saddle. Mine is padded for comfort and warmth. Absolutely love it. I can hunt any tree I want. I use Wild Edge steps to climb. I only need five. Four of them get me to 22 feet, then I place a second one next to the fourth and use it as a platform. I also have two ameristeps laced onto the rope of one of my steps so I can move around the entire tree if needed. I developed an aider called the knaider and swaider which helps me only use four steps to get to height. The climbing systems weighs four pounds, plus another pound for the additional step that is part of my platform.

It is incredibly comfortable, safe, and I can hike all day with all of my gear through the thickest nastiest stuff. Love it. Pete

It might be worth noting that since we are talking about climbing methods, height is really relative to hunting pressure and the winds. If there are more people in stands and saddles in your area, the deer are going to look up more, and you will need to get higher. Also if your wind stinks, additional height can aid in blowing you scent over the animals.

The additional height comes at the cost of increased gear carry (for some methods), and more difficult shots on closer animals due to the shifted layout of the vitals. My area does not have a lot of pressure, so I try to stay a bit lower. Two sticks and a rope aider makes getting to 16' quick, easy, and quiet. I don't think I would do the one stick method just based on the lower speed and increased risk of detection from movement and noise (to each their own though).

I want to try the wild edge steps though, they seem like a nice low bulk option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back