Any mechanics here?

Bigjay73

My 2014 Ram 1500, 2wd, 5.7l, auto transmission is having an issue. Almost seems like the cam sensor. It struggles in lower speeds, hesitates, loss of power, but sometimes the traction light will blink while its hesitating. Over 40mph it seems fine, but 5-35 its rough. No permanent warning lights, check engine light is off. Should I replace the Cam sensor, or take it into a shop?

I'm no mechanic, sounds like it could be the speed sensor. Probably in the rear end. It would be worth a diagnostic check to see.
Mind fart. You're talking about the tranny output speed sensor, aren't you? I thought you meant the ABS sensor in the wheel

What diagnostic tool are you using to check faults? Cheaper ones will usually only allow you to check/clear active or stored faults. More expensive ones will read everything including pending, abs, or transmission faults.

Was the issue happening before you did the rear brakes? Could possibly be an issue with the parking brake dragging on the inside of the rotor hat. I've run into the same symptoms with that as well.

Minus the traction light my 2002 ram 1500 did all of above mentioned and it was because I lost 1st gear.

What diagnostic tool are you using to check faults? Cheaper ones will usually only allow you to check/clear active or stored faults. More expensive ones will read everything including pending, abs, or transmission faults.

Was the issue happening before you did the rear brakes? Could possibly be an issue with the parking brake dragging on the inside of the rotor hat. I've run into the same symptoms with that as well.
It didn't, but if I let up on the gas, the truck doesnt slow down. It doesn't seem like the brakes are dragging. I have a work vehicle, so I'm putting off changing the speed sensor till the weekend. fingers crossed.

My 2014 Ram 1500, 2wd, 5.7l, auto transmission is having an issue. Almost seems like the cam sensor. It struggles in lower speeds, hesitates, loss of power, but sometimes the traction light will blink while its hesitating. Over 40mph it seems fine, but 5-35 its rough. No permanent warning lights, check engine light is off. Should I replace the Cam sensor, or take it into a shop?
Hesitation and loss of power sounds like a transmission problem. If there was a cam sensor issue you should have a hard fault/check engine light. Sounds like the lower gears could be taking a 💩. Or like you said with the brake change something could be wrong there also causing excessive drag.

On another note I sure don’t miss working on automotive 🤬🤯.

Hesitation and loss of power sounds like a transmission problem. If there was a cam sensor issue you should have a hard fault/check engine light. Sounds like the lower gears could be taking a 💩. Or like you said with the brake change something could be wrong there also causing excessive drag.

On another note I sure don’t miss working on automotive 🤬🤯.
Smell your trans fluid. Might smell burnt.

I am better with older vehicles, my 97 f-350 7,3 is still the best vehicle ever made in my opinion. But how does dodge do their traction control? I would start by finding out where the sensor is that detects slip, since you were working around the rear. I would guess that it goes into the rear axle somewhere check the wires and follow them to see if you might have bumped one. I find KISS still works very well, if a new problem starts check the last thing changed. If a wire came loose on that sensor it might not be working right and trying to cut you back. Maybe the plug is in but loose. I recently ordered a new computer for my Jeep got the computer and went to change the old one, as soon as I grabbed the plug it just came off. It looked like it was plugged in but was not in right, talk about a duh moment that cost me some money :mad:

This takes a lot more info.
First of all does 2014 have MDS?
MDS changed the way you have to street diagnose these issues. Making it quite difficult.
If not

What do the rpm 's do when its having trouble accelerating ? Rev higher or bog lower?
Does the speedometer read electronically from the vss or does it read from a manual cable?
If reading from the vss what does the speedo do when the traction light blinks?
What happens when you select 1st,2nd, ect instead of D.
Do you feel it shift through the gears?
Does toque feel normal 1-5 mph under hard acceleration?

Do yourself a favor and hook up a GOOD scan tool to it and take it for a ride. Check cyl fires and vss outputs while experiencing the problems.

It has MDS

Revs stay the same or slightly lower

I believe its electrically, but not 100% positive

Speedo stays the same

It shifts if I run through the gears manually, but still hesitates

I feel it shift through the gears

I'll have to get back to you on low speed torque

I'll try to find a good scan tool. Thanks!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back