Caribou Gear Tarp

Any heavy equipment mechanics here?

Two good friends in management at CAT. Heavy equipment mechanics are hard to come by. I would do it for sure. Don’t know a lot about John Deere as a company but they tell me a lot of good things about CAT. Especially how they treat their employees

I would expect that if you enter a Deere mechanics school you will be in a division program ie: construction-industrial- agricultural or landscaping but probably not all. Cat has a number of divisions. There is a ton of difference in the systems used. I don't represent myself to be an expert but I did spend 35 years selling construction equipment 20 of which I owned my dealership and sold more of a particular brand than anyone in the world. I had a blast. It was like going out to play nearly everyday. At times we employed 70+ mechanics.

Two good friends in management at CAT. Heavy equipment mechanics are hard to come by. I would do it for sure. Don’t know a lot about John Deere as a company but they tell me a lot of good things about CAT. Especially how they treat their employees
OH BOY! I have to say you fell for the corporate line HARD! I don't know where they work but here in Illinois we don't get squat! I'm in for over 27 years now and at 60 I'm stuck there. Too old to go anywhere else. I haven't had a raise in over 12 years. I make just enough per hour to make it impossible to leave without a pay cut. Treating employees right? HA! We even asked about any "bonus" for working through the pandemic, such as the $1,000 WALMART gave their folks. NOPE, THAT'S A CONTRACTUAL ISSUE, NEXT QUESTION! :mad:

OH BOY! I have to say you fell for the corporate line HARD! I don't know where they work but here in Illinois we don't get squat! I'm in for over 27 years now and at 60 I'm stuck there. Too old to go anywhere else. I haven't had a raise in over 12 years. I make just enough per hour to make it impossible to leave without a pay cut. Treating employees right? HA! We even asked about any "bonus" for working through the pandemic, such as the $1,000 WALMART gave their folks. NOPE, THAT'S A CONTRACTUAL ISSUE, NEXT QUESTION! :mad:
Sounds like you guys need to do like the DEERE employees just did and go on strike.

I started out in 1995. Worked for CAT factory for 2 years then for a CAT dealership for 16 years climbing the ladder. I now work for a contractor as their equipment manager. I can pretty much go anywhere I want. I tell all these young kids if they like working on things, have a good work ethic and aren't afraid of getting dirty and busting there knuckles then go the technician route. Becoming a lineman you can make a good living too if you're not afraid of work and working outside.
A 4 year college isn't necessarily the way to go for everyone. I know alot of guys that did better than me in school and got a for year degree and make alot less than I do. I got my associates and decided that wad enough for me. My career path I chose I continue to go to training and have more certifications than I can count and got paid for them.

Redman...that is a perfect example of what can be done. I am afraid that the younger generation has not gotten that path. Congratulations on your career.

I turned wrenches for a few years in the mines up north. I was lucky enough to get picked for them to pay for my diesel tech school. The trade wasn't for me but i use the knowledge often in my tinkering. Free or mostly free schooling is always a good thing. Mechanics are in demand just about everywhere right now. I bet them gold mines would hire him tomorrow if he was through with the schooling.

Instead of a bunch of pm's, the deal is my son has an opportunity to enter schooling for John Deer mechanics and basically a guaranteed job at several dealerships once he is done. Seems like a solid and stable career, just wondered how others have done in the field. Thanks guys. mtmuley
I've done well for myself, started out in the early 90's on New Holland & John Deere, have moved on since. As for pay, depends on the area you're in. I'm out east in a union shop, he will never be without a job unless it's his own choosing. Right now there is a huge demand for heavy equipment techs. As a shop foreman, a good mechanic is hard to find these days, but once in a while you do find one. Good luck to him.

If anyone is interested in becoming or already is a diesel mechanic, check Cummins.com for job opportunities. They offer a program to train & get a college degree while working.

The trades. Still needed.
Could go the JD route if you get the training. Or CAT. Or JC . Or military.

I did talk to a guy that worked for them for 30 years, management. JD in Iowa. After military career. They laid him off just before the 30 kicks in.

My brother works for a JD dealership in a western state. The work is consistent and good with overtime usually available. Depending upon how much he wants to work usually one can make very good wages. My son is also a heavy equipment mechanic here in Michigan. He works at a shop a couple of hours from home in an area known for it's great recreational opportunities. Both my son and brother make 100k+ a year. Wages in the $35hr range for them both.. Plus very good benefits. It a good gig but not always easy. They both have side gigs with excavating work and my son is considering going into it full time. If he's got an entrepreneurial spirit it can open doors into other avenues because of contacts.. YMMV

A solid career most likely, it sure takes longer to get my stuff in these days when needed due to the lack of mechanics. Almost all my equipment is Deere. John Deere dealerships and maintenance has always been clean and professional for me. The shop areas appear to be safe work places also. Maybe he can learn his skill through a company like this and stay or start his own mechanic business down the road.

I have been a heavy duty mechanic off and on for about 50 years. I never really specialized in brand. My son now 47 went to work for Cat probably 25+ years ago. My oldest grandson entered the Cat apprenticeship program last year right out of highschool. There's a big difference in being a mechanic and being a CAT mechanic. If your a qualified and certified CAT mechanic you will NEVER look for a job. They will find you.

The most valuable (and well paid) heavy equipment repair people I know are very good at diagnosing problems, particularly electrical.

I know nothing about heavy equipment, but unless you're going into STEM or professional school, 4 year degrees make little sense these days. At one point a "liberal" education, in the old sense of the word, had some value but that ceased a while ago.

My nephew went to work at a Caterpillar shop about 10 years ago they have sent him to all kinds of training. He works in a big clean shop on big Cat equipment, sometimes goes on the road where he might have to work on Cat equipment at a mine or construction site. Loves his job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back