Yeti GOBOX Collection

Any fiddle players??

jlong17

I currently play the acoustic guitar and although I really enjoy it, I’d like to learn something new. I enjoy folk and bluegrass music and have always wanted to learn the fiddle (violin).
Do you play? What’s the learning curve? Where do I start?
Thanks in advance!!

I learned classical violin from age 9. I played two years of high school and in college. As far as instruments go, difficulty is moderate to hard. The toughest part to learn, in my opinion, is using the bow properly. When you draw it across the strings you have to account for pressure, as well as angle, tilt, length of draw, and drift (z-axis). Learning curve is slow. I much prefer keys and acoustic guitar due to simplicity. The best advice I can give is learn to play by ear and steer clear of sheet music. I’d recommend getting some fiddle lessons from someone to get the hang of how to hold the bow and the instrument, and establish some basic technique. I haven’t touched my violin in years. You’re welcome to it if you wish. It’s just a basic Glaesel violin, but I do have a nice bow.

I am drummer, sorry. Two of my kids took violin lessons and hated it. I think it would be fun to be able to play it.

I learned classical violin from age 9. I played two years of high school and in college. As far as instruments go, difficulty is moderate to hard. The toughest part to learn, in my opinion, is using the bow properly. When you draw it across the strings you have to account for pressure, as well as angle, tilt, length of draw, and drift (z-axis). Learning curve is slow. I much prefer keys and acoustic guitar due to simplicity. The best advice I can give is learn to play by ear and steer clear of sheet music. I’d recommend getting some fiddle lessons from someone to get the hang of how to hold the bow and the instrument, and establish some basic technique. I haven’t touched my violin in years. You’re welcome to it if you wish. It’s just a basic Glaesel violin, but I do have a nice bow.

I wish I lived closer to you, I’d take you up in borrowing that bad boy to see if I could figure it out!

Many years ago. Like Elkfever I started in grade school and played through high school.

I second his thought on learning to play by ear. I enjoyed it, but way too many competing interests.

I don't play fiddle but I sure do appreciate listening. There's a studio session player that lives around here that when's he's able makes the local rounds weather a BBQ or a service, always a treat when he's there.

Mandolin is another sweet instrument to listen to, although looks like a beast to keep in tune.

Violin/fiddles are pretty damn pricey.

My oldest daughter tried it...imagine watching an Aussie Blue Merle concentrate. I love fiddle music as in Allison Krauss or Amanda Shires. I also enjoy violin music...

It's funny, my sister, who is a very talented fiddle player is learning guitar now at age 55 and her guitar playing husband is learning the fiddle. They are in a number of bands in the Seattle area and mostly play Irish/Scottish/Celtic music. So much fun to listen to them play. My sister does lessons mostly for younger students I believe - like everything it is probably easier to pick up at a younger age but really it's never to late to learn something especially if you are musically inclined. My sister is well-connected in the NW part of the country and could probably point you to someone that might teach the fiddle. No idea where you live, but if you want her contact info, just send me an IM and I will send it to you. Here is a short video of her playing - enjoy!

The old guy I took lessons from when I was a kid was good friends with Mark. Amazing talent.

That guy has a pretty cool YouTube channel!

It's funny, my sister, who is a very talented fiddle player is learning guitar now at age 55 and her guitar playing husband is learning the fiddle. They are in a number of bands in the Seattle area and mostly play Irish/Scottish/Celtic music. So much fun to listen to them play. My sister does lessons mostly for younger students I believe - like everything it is probably easier to pick up at a younger age but really it's never to late to learn something especially if you are musically inclined. My sister is well-connected in the NW part of the country and could probably point you to someone that might teach the fiddle. No idea where you live, but if you want her contact info, just send me an IM and I will send it to you. Here is a short video of her playing - enjoy!

I live in Southern California (please don’t judge haha). I’m fairly musically inclined. I taught myself acoustic guitar in high school, and consider myself of average talent.
I really enjoy the sound of Irish/Celtic fiddle. My wife and I traveled to New Zealand for a month and during that time spent some time camping with a traveling Irish band. We were able to hear some unbelievable campfire fiddle sessions from those fellas that I’ll never forget. I guess that’s kinda where this interest stemmed from. I turn into a bit of a romantic when out camping and hunting. The sun goes down and the fire comes out and all I want to hear is some quality music. Kinda like folks that appreciate pairing cheese and wine... I like pairing creation and music - and it almost always involves the fiddle hahah

I live in Southern California (please don’t judge haha). I’m fairly musically inclined. I taught myself acoustic guitar in high school, and consider myself of average talent.
I really enjoy the sound of Irish/Celtic fiddle. My wife and I traveled to New Zealand for a month and during that time spent some time camping with a traveling Irish band. We were able to hear some unbelievable campfire fiddle sessions from those fellas that I’ll never forget. I guess that’s kinda where this interest stemmed from. I turn into a bit of a romantic when out camping and hunting. The sun goes down and the fire comes out and all I want to hear is some quality music. Kinda like folks that appreciate pairing cheese and wine... I like pairing creation and music - and it almost always involves the fiddle hahah
Sounds like you have a wonderful appreciation for the fiddle and fiddle tunes - that's awesome. I am pretty close with my sister and we talk often so I will ask her about good online resources for learning the fiddle and see who she knows in sunny southern Cali that you might be able to talk to about learning to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back