Yeti GOBOX Collection

Any Experience with Forbes, or NULA?

Horn Seeker

Just curious. Ive read a few articles about the Forbes... every one is praising them on high... It appears you are pretty much getting a $3200 custom gun for $1399....

Just curious. I really want a lightweight mountain rifle...

Thanks

If you can afford the NULA, I would go that way no doubt. There's a couple more threads on 24hour that are not all that favorable to Forbes.

What chambering do you want? If short action I'd think long and hard about Kimber. I sold a 300 WSM Kimber to pay for some tags/travel this fall, but will be getting another. If long action, and don't want to pay full up costs for a NULA; I'd suggest a faux NULA. Find a Colt Light Rifle, which was Melvin Forbes first attempt like Forbes, and send it to NULA for a stock, trigger, bedding upgrade. The upgrade work costs $650. If you can find the CLR for a reasonable price, you can come in under a Forbes and with more attention and custom options.

Here's a converted Colt for much less than a Forbes
http://www.gunsamerica.com/927878041/Colt-Light-Rifle-30-06-USED-New-Ultra-Light-Arms.htm

Last edited:
It appears you are pretty much getting a $3200 custom gun for $1399....

I have no idea what the differences are, but if the two rifles were truly equal NULA would be out of business already. In rifles, especially with custom rigs, I think you really do get what you pay for. If you really want a custom Lighweight mountain rifle, two other options, Proof Research and Christensen Arms. The COLT option is certainly worth looking at. Colt bought Ultralight Arms from Forbes years and years ago...

To add what MKotur posted, a Forbes is not really a custom gun. You get what they offer. With a NULA you can pick LOP, barrel length, barrel contour, many more chamberings etc.

Also, there are others that make lightweight custom rigs other than what was posted. Rifles, Inc. comes immediately to mind.

Last edited:
I understand they aren't custom, but what I read was that they are basically the same gun as the customs... nothing in the action or barrel/stock are different... I do understand the custom could have a different than standard length of pull... trigger weight set to XX... stuff like that.

I"ll probably just shoot my Abolt forever...

If you look at this article, it shows some of the difference. It states that the actions are being made by an outside source, the barrels and fitting to the actions are being handled by a second, then they put a Forbes stock on. Forbes is not making the action for the production rifles, nor is his shop doing any (from what I can tell) of the smithing. That to my thinking explains much of the cost differential. The Actions in Maine, Assembly by "TMP" and the stock made by Forbes. So, it looks like smithing and sourcing are the differences. From the way I read that the only part that Forbes and his direct staff touch are the stocks, instead of him and his staff building the entire rifle.

I'm not at all implying that the Forbes rifles will not be shooters, just trying to highlight potential cost savings and differences. Outsourcing is incredibly commen! Virtually every Browing firearm sold in the states is made by Miroku in Japan, the Weather Vanguard barreled actions are made by Howa, the Winchester Model 70's are made by FN USA...

I understand they aren't custom, but what I read was that they are basically the same gun as the customs... nothing in the action or barrel/stock are different... I do understand the custom could have a different than standard length of pull... trigger weight set to XX... stuff like that.

I"ll probably just shoot my Abolt forever...
Good deal. One difference for me, that is of substance is the difference in the safety. The NULA has a 2 position, three function safety. You can work the bolt with the safety on, but pushing down on it. The Forbes, IIRC, have switched to a 2 position, 2 fuction safety. Think Remington ADL. While not a huge thing, I just prefer to be able to work the bolt if needed with the safety on if needed.

It's a copycat of a lightweight rifle Remington built for a few years. mtmuley

I went with a Forbes and I am very pleased with it, I passed on the Kimber because the barrels are hit or miss. You either get a shooter or crap and one they won't stand behind. Plus the Forbes has the caliber I like, 6.5x55 and a much better trigger and cheaper to boot

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back