Any DIY hunting in Canada?

Big Game = Guide Required.
Small Game and waterfowl, no guide.
Not entirely sure that's accurate (but admittedly also not entirely sure it isn't..)

I've hunted whitetails in Canada without a guide, and know some folks that have hunted black bears without a guide.

This was all in Ontario, and it's been a few years so things could have changed.

Not entirely sure that's accurate (but admittedly also not entirely sure it isn't..)

I've hunted whitetails in Canada without a guide, and know some folks that have hunted black bears without a guide.

This was all in Ontario, and it's been a few years so things could have changed.
Did a little digging and for the most part guides are required. Deer in Ontario is the exception. Deer and moose in Quebec.

I believe it USED to be above a certain parallel, but that was years ago.
I've known alot of people who hunt dyi in Quebec for deer, bear and moose.

From my one time going to Canada experience, there are three levels of hunting status in Alberta. Residents (of Alberta), Non-residents (any other province in Canada) and alien non-residents. Each province does it a little or a lot different from the next, just like USA states, so what goes on in Alberta may not translate to the next province .

Alberta has a hunter host system for non-resident aliens. Once hosted you can buy OTC tags that are available to residents.
don't they need to be with you though on the hunt? similar to an Alaskan resident needs to be with you on an Alaskan sheep hunt or a a WY resident needs to be with you on a WY wilderness hunt?

don't they need to be with you though on the hunt? similar to an Alaskan resident needs to be with you on an Alaskan sheep hunt or a a WY resident needs to be with you on a WY wilderness hunt?
Yes they do. Not really DIY but still a good option if you can make it work e.g. archery moose is OTC.

Non resident including land owners, need to go with outfitters, for bear hunting In Ontario.
deer hunting, there are only a few WMU that non resident can DIY hunt
you can still DIY bear hunt true outfitters if the outfitters aloud you on his BMA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back