MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Any advise on how to store deer overnight in cold temperatures?

Clam

Hi All,

I’m fairly new to deer hunting and am wondering what is the best way to handle a field dressed deer overnight if it gets cold-(teens)? I take them to be processed, but if it is late in the evening by the time I get back to town, the butcher isn’t usually available until the next day. Last year I covered them with a blue tarp in the back of the truck and it worked just fine, but the temps only dropped to the high 20’s. This year the forecast is looking like it’ll be significantly colder.

I do have access to a garage/shop if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Hi All,

I’m fairly new to deer hunting and am wondering what is the best way to handle a field dressed deer overnight if it gets cold-(teens)? I take them to be processed, but if it is late in the evening by the time I get back to town, the butcher isn’t usually available until the next day. Last year I covered them with a blue tarp in the back of the truck and it worked just fine, but the temps only dropped to the high 20’s. This year the forecast is looking like it’ll be significantly colder.

I do have access to a garage/shop if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Neil
Just hang it where you can at those temps. If the garage is unheated, hang it from the rafters and you're good to go. If you have a tree outside, hang it from the tree in a way that animals can't get at it.

I've let my deer freeze before I was able to butcher them, it's not really a concern, and if its just overnight I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

It will be fine. Just hang it, if you can. If you put a tarp around it, make sure that the air can get in. A solid tarp does not let the air circulate around it very well and will hold in the heat.

The processor wont care at all if the deer is partially frozen; as others have said, I prefer to work it that way.

I've always found that partially frozen meat is much easier to process.
Hung my Javelina in the garage for two days and it was perfect when cutting time came. 🔥
I'll second this.

Anytime I thaw out a quarter to further process it I always like it right on that marginal line in between frozen and thawed

I was pretty much wondering that if they freeze a little too much if it is any problem. I’ll use your suggestions above and not overthink it.

When I’ve gotten deer (once) close to home I didn't mind doing the processing, but we travel out of state and really have no interest in bringing/setting up/cleaning etc. any more equipment than we have to. When I was younger I did enjoy doing more, but now I enjoy supporting the local businesses.

I'll second this.

Anytime I thaw out a quarter to further process it I always like it right on that marginal line in between frozen and thawed
I find that making thin and precision cuts,such as Jerky cutting is that much easier. 🔥

Hang it, either in a garage or in a tree. Just make sure it stays cool I suppose.

Generally speaking. If it is, or will be, below freezing gut it, leave the hide on and hang it. If it will be 50's to freezing I do the same but will drop a bag of ice into the chest cavity. If it is warmer than 50's skin it, hang it in the shade/breeze in game bags, put ice in it and get it to a cooler asap.

Regionally meat processors all differ on whether they like skinned carcasses or prefer to skin them themselves. I grew up hunting in Summer weather so we skinned deer in the afternoon and had the carcass in a game bag at the processer that night.

Wasn't until I went to Wyoming that I saw unskinned deer and antelope stacked like cordwood on the concrete slab awaiting processing. Cool weather makes a difference.

Personally I like the art of skinning a deer myself, jointing them with a knife and having a clean carcass in a good deer bag to deliver to the locker. I'll trim all my bloodshot before it gets there.

Were I in your situation I'd skin the deer and hang him in an unheated building over night. But hanging outside unskinned over night would be fine also.

I've left deer for 2 weeks in my barn when it gets below freezing. No issues

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back