Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Any advice on mule deer in colorado unit 74 2nd rifle season?

rsvrip

I'm going on my first western hunt this year! Colorado unit 74 2nd rifle season for mule deer. Does anyone have any advice? I'll take anything. General knowledge, specific spot, where not to go, etc.

I live in Pensacola, FL so assume I know absolutely nothing. Which would be true!

The trick will be working around the OTC elk hunters, but you might get lucky in that they will be pushing deer. I would be looking up pretty high still for bucks. You could get some decent snow by then, so you might want some chains for the truck.

Deer will most likely be hanging in the timber the majority of the daylight hours. Be in a good glassing spot at daybreak and sunset, looking for bucks to pop out of the fringes.

Good luck, and most of all have fun!

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be checking out that video for sure.

One question. MinnesotaHunter you mentioned that the deer would be "pretty high". What would pretty high be? 10,000ft? More-less?

By video i mean podcast.

A lot of us lowlanders get confused when talking about high and low country. I think it comes from not having any frame of reference. High around here is 100ft!

Unit 74 runs from 7000ish up to well over 10,000 feet. Most of the high country is up near Silverton, but there are some peaks in the La Plata mountains that break treeline too. Get your lungs in shape. :)

I'd avoid most of the areas north/northeast of Silverton as there are a ton of old mining/4x4/atv trails.

MinnesotaHunter you mentioned that the deer would be "pretty high". What would pretty high be? 10,000ft? More-less?

It doesn't come from and specific knowledge of the area, but rather just where the pressure is coming from and the mode those bucks will be in that time of year. If I were in your shoes, I would start by the very basis rule of crossing out any terrain within 1 miles of a road, and see what you have left. My thinking would be that the weather (making roads more or less passable) and other hunters patterns are going to affect how far the bucks come down.

Buck will be leaving the high country heading to winter range and ladies during 2nd rifle. Is the tag good for 741 as well? I would hunt the SWA on the S part of 74 or unit 741 if you can. Look for broken PJ country with water nearby.

Thanks again Minnesotahunter. I've already got my unit map and will take your advice.

P.s. If you were in my shoes, they would b flip flops. Happy Father's Day from Pensacola beach!!

More great advice. Thanks guys! I don't know if I can hunt 741. I'll look into that, and what pj country is. ��

I know this has been a couple years but was curious if you have any update on how your hunt went. My brother and I drew this same tag this year and are kind of in the same boat as you were. We are from AZ and hunted our whole lives but this will be our first adventure in Colorado. I will be purchasing an OTC elk tag as well so if you would be willing to tell about your hunt and possibly give me some pointers i would really appreciate it.

I know this has been a couple years but was curious if you have any update on how your hunt went. My brother and I drew this same tag this year and are kind of in the same boat as you were. We are from AZ and hunted our whole lives but this will be our first adventure in Colorado. I will be purchasing an OTC elk tag as well so if you would be willing to tell about your hunt and possibly give me some pointers i would really appreciate it.
Much like you he joined the day of the drawing and asked for information and hasn't been back since. Good luck on your hunt!

Lol yeah you have me there. I have been members to many other threads but not this one sorry. But i do choose to follow up on my stories.

Here is some good ones from different threads if you would like to see some of my storys.

Back