Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anti hunting group buys hunting rights

Ever been to a RMEF or DU banquet? Most raffles don't include tags. Some do, but you're ridiculous to call hunters tight wads. Hunters spend so much money it's insane. It's such a gear intensive activity.

As far as cost of tags, I'd rather donate to a good cause than give the government $1k for a license...

Do you send money to orgs in MN to open up public lands for access? I bet you don't because it doesn't benefit you at all.

You should reach out to some bigger organizations if you're struggling to raise $150k. Trust for Public Lands or Land Access Initiative... If you can open access to 8.3 million acres, both orgs would likely be all over it.

Having run banquets Buzz is right on the money for the majority of hunters. RMEF or DU or whatever flavor of conservation org you want will put 300 to 500 (half of whom are members spouses) people in a room, and half of those people probably spend pretty generously beyond just throwing their tickets into the raffles.

But the local/ state chapter of that org probably has 1000 to 5000 members who do absolutely zilch beyond send in their $35 per year, and then p!ss and moan anytime something in their state happen. And then when you look at RMEF/ DU membership compared to the number of resident licenses sold you start narrowing in on the real contributors.

The old adage is ten percent of the people do 90 percent of the work. I think it's approaching one percent/ 99 percent for the hunting community. The majority of hunters are not keyed in on conservation issues, and not interested in funding them beyond their $20 to $50 elk tag. Heck, imagine how many Montana hunters might give that up if they had to pay what the state of Oregon charges for an elk tag :rolleyes:

Hunt a deer for $16 canadian and don't dare maybe think increasing the price.....

You should've seen the rants on social media the last time we raised prices by a few dollars here in Saskatchewan...

The "hunting has become a rich man's game" crowd on FB about a $5 increase for resident tags was absolutely ridiculous. Grown men crying about $30-50 tags on the same account they post pictures of their $80k truck on...

Ever been to a RMEF or DU banquet? Most raffles don't include tags. Some do, but you're ridiculous to call hunters tight wads. Hunters spend so much money it's insane. It's such a gear intensive activity.

As far as cost of tags, I'd rather donate to a good cause than give the government $1k for a license...

Do you send money to orgs in MN to open up public lands for access? I bet you don't because it doesn't benefit you at all.

You should reach out to some bigger organizations if you're struggling to raise $150k. Trust for Public Lands or Land Access Initiative... If you can open access to 8.3 million acres, both orgs would likely be all over it.
Set up a jar at one of those banquets and write "Donate to XXX...." on it. Your choice what it is. Or a GofundMe. Let me know how much you collect. People go to those events because it's a social event. i.e. Dinner and drinks, and the hope to win something. When they can't win something they become less interested. Buzz is right. But it's not just hunters. Basically the majority of Americans are tightwads. Most because they need to be, some because they get asked for money from about 10 different places every month.

Set up a jar at one of those banquets and write "Donate to XXX...." on it. Your choice what it is. Or a GofundMe. Let me know how much you collect. People go to those events because it's a social event. i.e. Dinner and drinks, and the hope to win something. When they can't win something they become less interested. Buzz is right. But it's not just hunters. Basically the majority of Americans are tightwads. Most because they need to be, some because they get asked for money from about 10 different places every month.
The entire event is a fundraiser. I probably wouldn't stick money in a jar for something else when I'm at a fundraiser... I'm also going to put my money somewhere it matters most to me. If I can donate money to an org local to me that does work I can benefit from, I'd rather put my money there.

All successful fundraisers I can think of involve the opportunity to win something. Don't you think the the anti's did some form of fundraiser to raise money to buy the rights?

You should've seen the rants on social media the last time we raised prices by a few dollars here in Saskatchewan...

The "hunting has become a rich man's game" crowd on FB about a $5 increase for resident tags was absolutely ridiculous. Grown men crying about $30-50 tags on the same account they post pictures of their $80k truck on...
Face book attracts the biggest whiners. Guys that cry the most, do the least.

Our State WSF banquet sells out fast, is attracting younger energetic engaged new membership, and is breaking new revenue records every year. I'm not seeing the apathy you guys are complaining about.

The entire event is a fundraiser. I probably wouldn't stick money in a jar for something else when I'm at a fundraiser... I'm also going to put my money somewhere it matters most to me. If I can donate money to an org local to me that does work I can benefit from, I'd rather put my money there.

All successful fundraisers I can think of involve the opportunity to win something. Don't you think the the anti's did some form of fundraiser to raise money to buy the rights?
I would venture to say the overwhelming percentage of the dollars came from Patagonia.

Calm down Junior...nobody said anything about purchasing gear or attending a DU banquet. It's about 700 donors that raised just shy of 2 million for a specific cause. Let me tell you, they didn't buy a backpack, a raffle ticket, or another rubber chicken dinner when they cut the check.

Show me the last time 700 hunters donated something close to that, to stop, say, a trapping ban in New Mexico.

Its crickets...

Last edited:
Face book attracts the biggest whiners. Guys that cry the most, do the least.

Our State WSF banquet sells out fast, is attracting younger energetic engaged new membership, and is breaking new revenue records every year. I'm not seeing the apathy you guys are complaining about.
Yeah, but they get a direct benefit, a rubber chicken dinner, some raffle tickets, blah blah.

Those 700 donors opened up their wallets, cut a check, and didn't need raffle tickets, a governors tag, a backpack, or a rubber chicken dinner...

That's the difference, and its a significant difference.

Its why they win, leaving you to pontificate on why you get your posterior handed to you.

Hunters are tightwads.

Calm down Junior...nobody said anything about purchasing gear. It's about 700 donors that raised just shy of 2 million for a specific cause. Let me tell you, they didn't buy a backpack when they cut the check.

Show me the last time 700 hunters donated something close to that to stop, say, a trapping ban in New Mexico.
Calm down Senior. You know Patagonia kicked in the lions share of those dollars.

I would venture to say the overwhelming percentage of the dollars came from Patagonia.
I was surprised when I saw that Patagonia was a big sponsor. In looking in to it. It looks like the founder of Patagonia is anti predator hunting? Sounds like he's done plenty of hunting, but is against predator hunting.

I'd love to know how much Patagonia donated. I know some people are assuming all of those 700 donors donated $2,800 a piece, but let's be realistic...

Buzz, reach out to some bigger companies like Sitka, FL, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, and others. You'll have your $150k raised in no time.

Calm down Senior. You know Patagonia kicked in the lions share of those dollars.
So what?

That's why they win and we lose...but, but, but...it was _______________(fill in the blank org or individual) that gave them the money.

Lots of rich hunters, but again, unless there's something in it like a governors sheep tag, they won't, and don't, cut the checks.

I was surprised when I saw that Patagonia was a big sponsor. In looking in to it. It looks like the founder of Patagonia is anti predator hunting? Sounds like he's done plenty of hunting, but is against predator hunting.

I'd love to know how much Patagonia donated. I know some people are assuming all of those 700 donors donated $2,800 a piece, but let's be realistic...

Buzz, reach out to some bigger companies like Sitka, FL, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, and others. You'll have your $150k raised in no time.
We did, and if you want to give them a call and do something besides run your mouth...get after it.

We did, and if you want to give them a call and do something besides run your mouth...get after it.
I hope you're not the one reaching out. But I can see why you're struggling to get the money if you're the one on the phone.

I know nothing about this. Where's it at? Post an article. I've heard nothing about this until this thread.

I hope you're not the one reaching out. But I can see why you're struggling to get the money if you're the one on the phone.

I know nothing about this. Where's it at? Post an article. I've heard nothing about this until this thread.

You haven't heard of corner crossing?

Rip Van Winkle mean anything to you?

The only big fish that did some heavy lifting on that issue was Rinella. The rest has largely been a handful of small local WY businesses and some individuals that threw in $500-$1000.

Pretty crazy considering 8 states are about to see corner crossing become legal.

Most conservation orgs get 25-40% off from those groups. I haven't seen a direct donation in years.

Not to say they don't kick in on some bigger projects, but I know it's minimal for some of our rod and gun club "boots on the ground" type groups.

Our local chapter puts $50k-70k out there each year for habitat projects and youth hunting events. The local lumber companies who need a tax right off are much bigger supporters.

Sort of tangential - but if there is a list of hunting/outdoor/media companies that have provided support for the corner crossing case - and a list of those who have not - it would be appreciated. I bought some MeatEater apparel when I saw them support the corner crossing go fund me page. I canceled my GoHunt subscription when I saw them sit on their a$$. Neither action makes a darn difference to either company, but I think if more public land hunters were aware of who was helping and who was sitting on the fence...maybe there would be more incentive for many of these entrepreneurs to pitch in and get off the sidelines.

You haven't heard of corner crossing?

Rip Van Winkle mean anything to you?
I'm well aware of corner crossing. So $150k opens up 8 million acres?

Did you forget about this?

Looks like there's at least 2,100 of us hunters who care about corner crossing.

I'm well aware of corner crossing. So $150k opens up 8 million acres?

Did you forget about this?

Looks like there's at least 2,100 of us hunters who care about corner crossing.
700 people raised 2 million to buy hunting rights...Did you forget about that?

No, it will eventually open up 8.3 million.

And all the tightwads, with vice grips on their wallets and who will benefit from corner crossing, can thank 2100 people (many that probably had to sacrifice significantly to donate), who won't get even that from the deadbeats.

The last part is an interesting question. I don't know the answer.

To clarify, I know it is a fundraiser, but if you are getting something in return it can hardly be classified as "giving". Trust me, I know how the sausage is made on these. My wife loves a good fundraiser. Every year I have to explain how the IRS views her "giving" in exchange for that item she purchased. It's an uphill climb.

700 people raised 2 million to buy hunting rights...Did you forget about that?

No, it will eventually open up 8.3 million.

And all the tightwads, with vice grips on their wallets and who will benefit from corner crossing, can thank 2100 people (many that probably had to sacrifice significantly to donate), who won't get even that from the deadbeats.
Talk to Yvon, he's a BHA member isn't he? If it's opening land up to public use, he would probably be all over it.

Also ask him how much he donated out of that $2 mil!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back