Caribou Gear

Antelope Units

Taxidermynut

Any one have any info on Unit 11 in New Mexico, Unit 60 in Wyoming or Unit 48 in Wyoming. We were lucky enough to get a few tags this year. Just wondering were to start looking on our scouting trips. Thanks.

In Unit 11, you will be assigned a ranch, won't you? That pretty much tells you where the scouting will have to occur.

In Unit 60, any place is a good place to start. Just keep looking for a big one. They are there.

Unit 48 is full of bucks. Not many spots without pronghorn. Just want a BLM surface map to show the ownership so you know whether they are on public or private.

None of that is very specific, but when hunting antelope in WY, nothing is very specific, as they are everywhere and the big ones are where you find them.

Should all be really fun hunts, with the chance for some big ones. Congrats on the tags, and good luck.

Yes I forgot to add that we were assigned to the association ranch. Looks like alot of cedars.

In wyoming, just looking to see if the better bucks are north end, south end, etc.

Thanks.

Taxidermynut,

Please stop. You're making Fin jealous. He has a thing for goats it seems!

I could have asked about 64 in wyoming too, but it seems small enough that it should be easy to cover in a couple days to get an idea of were to start. Was a great year for goat tags.

Unit 48

Taxidermynut,

I hunt on # 46, which has a lot of antelope on public land. I have heard that # 48 has bigger bucks on BLM land. You will need to get a map to be sure you are on BLM land. You should also check the Wyoming Game and Fish website. There are drawings for access to private land under the Private Land Public Wildlife program. There are a couple of opportunities in # 48. Good luck.

Area 64 is nearly all public land, as is the northern half of 60. If you got tags for anywhere in the basin you're lucky. Longest horns I ever saw were in 61 just below Bairoil, so I know they're there; as well as length, they have some of the nicest cutters too. There's precious little water there, so if you can find water, stick within travel distance of it.

Back