Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Antelope unit selection question.

Personally, I would truck camp or get a hotel/motel room for antelope. I move A LOT for an antelope hunt and do so by truck. Drive from vantage points to vantage points and glass, the trick is to walk 1 to 2 klicks away from the trail and glass farther. A normal antelope hunting day for me; I will drive to, at the very least, 4-5 different spots and glass. The idea is to glass what truck hunters can't see. These guys will still be successful but you will have better chances and a cooler hunt, in my opinion.

I am going to be truck camping but it will just be with backpacking equipment. Having never backpack hunted and trying to get into it, I think it will be a good opportunity to familiarize myself with it.

If it takes that many points either will be great units. Don't over think an antelope hunt. Pick the one that interest you the most and go kill a nice buck. If size don't really matter and your looking for a good representative lope that is. If size matters I'd go with B.

I like hunting with fewer people around. I guess going to look in mid-may to check numbers and quality is off the table?

Probably is unless I could do it with a quick long weekend flight. Too many demands on my vacation time this year. Heck the year isn’t 3 weeks old yet and I have burned a week.

If it takes that many points either will be great units. Don't over think an antelope hunt. Pick the one that interest you the most and go kill a nice buck. If size don't really matter and your looking for a good representative lope that is. If size matters I'd go with B.

Thanks. Size is not my main consideration.

I think I am going to apply for Unit A. It seems like if I am willing to do some hiking I will probably be able to get away from most of the pressure.

A perfect example to my prior comment, I am going to give an example to prove it a bit:

Nimmo Ranch before it became part of the Nimmo Ranch HMA was a really good place to hunt. Gretchen, the owner, only allowed 25 hunters a year. Trespassing became an issue and a hassle for them, so the WGF convinced them it is better to create an HMA that includes neighboring state land. Keep in mind that Nimmo Ranch is not a huge sprawling ranch and is small in comparison to other ranches.

Before the HMA status, I used to tag out every time I hunted. There were other hunters there yeah, but not enough to push them onto the private land.

Once the HMA came into effect, they allowed 300 hunters a year in two periods of 150 each. In addition to this we had a drought so water was an issue that contributed to this problem. Nimmo is now an under-performing unit as far as quality hunting goes. First hunters there early in the morning on opening day are usually pretty successful. After that the antelope go onto the surrounding private where you can not legally shoot them. Private surrounds Nimmo.

This is what I mean by too many hunters in an area can ruin the opportunities to tag one. This also happened to me on my elk hunt. Where I saw a lot of elk during fishing season by Hams Fork Campground, during hunting season, I saw a different hunter about every 100 yards so we left that area and went east and did much better as a group. Unfortunately, I had to leave due to an emergency situation with my wife.

I kinda learned not to talk about really hot areas I find because then other people are drawn to them. I invite a few hunters privately instead which is what I am doing with antelope this year. I do want more hunters in the field in general, but not crowding into specific areas.

A perfect example to my prior comment, I am going to give an example to prove it a bit:

Nimmo Ranch before it became part of the Nimmo Ranch HMA was a really good place to hunt. Gretchen, the owner, only allowed 25 hunters a year. Trespassing became an issue and a hassle for them, so the WGF convinced them it is better to create an HMA that includes neighboring state land. Keep in mind that Nimmo Ranch is not a huge sprawling ranch and is small in comparison to other ranches.

Before the HMA status, I used to tag out every time I hunted. There were other hunters there yeah, but not enough to push them onto the private land.

Once the HMA came into effect, they allowed 300 hunters a year in two periods of 150 each. In addition to this we had a drought so water was an issue that contributed to this problem. Nimmo is now an under-performing unit as far as quality hunting goes. First hunters there early in the morning on opening day are usually pretty successful. After that the antelope go onto the surrounding private where you can not legally shoot them. Private surrounds Nimmo.

This is what I mean by too many hunters in an area can ruin the opportunities to tag one. This also happened to me on my elk hunt. Where I saw a lot of elk during fishing season by Hams Fork Campground, during hunting season, I saw a different hunter about every 100 yards so we left that area and went east and did much better as a group. Unfortunately, I had to leave due to an emergency situation with my wife.

I kinda learned not to talk about really hot areas I find because then other people are drawn to them. I invite a few hunters privately instead which is what I am doing with antelope this year. I do want more hunters in the field in general, but not crowding into specific areas.

Great insight.

I was taught from an early age to not go and brag up my good hunting, fishing, and trapping, spots are they wouldn’t be good for long.

with lots of people, you have to get there in the dark. Unit I hunted this year, wife and I bowhunted and ALWAYS saw multiple groups and stalk opportunities without leaving the truck. Opener of rifle I couldn't get out early, so we went in the afternoon. Saw nothing but trucks where we always had it to ourselves, and I mean you could see 4-5 trucks wandering the roads and another 5-10 parked in spots. We got out and walked, up to about 2 miles from any truck. We saw 7 antelope. Well actually the remains of 7 antelope, all fresh gut piles or fresh bodies left from gutless/quatering. Nothing alive.

@Bob-WY : Especially when I am by myself, I like to be on my spot a half hour before legal shooting light starts. They are not so spooky then as they will be later in the day. I spend the day doing glassing mostly and trying for herds or bucks I pick out in the spotter, then more serious hunting after dinner time up until legal shooting light ends. I get most of my antelope within 1 hour of legal shooting light starting.

with lots of people, you have to get there in the dark. Unit I hunted this year, wife and I bowhunted and ALWAYS saw multiple groups and stalk opportunities without leaving the truck. Opener of rifle I couldn't get out early, so we went in the afternoon. Saw nothing but trucks where we always had it to ourselves, and I mean you could see 4-5 trucks wandering the roads and another 5-10 parked in spots. We got out and walked, up to about 2 miles from any truck. We saw 7 antelope. Well actually the remains of 7 antelope, all fresh gut piles or fresh bodies left from gutless/quatering. Nothing alive.

That’s great info. Thanks!

Go to whichever has the terrain/scenery you'd rather hunt in. It's easy to overthink planning an antelope hunt. If an area takes more than 5 points to draw, you'll be able to fill your tag at any given time during the hunt, whether that's the first hour or last 20 minutes of the season. Perhaps one has a trout stream nearby you'd like to fish, or opportunities to hunt upland birds?
I agree 100%. I've hunted six different units over the past twenty plus years in Wyoming (non-res) with family and friends and have never spent more than three days on just goats. You will have multiple opportunities every day at decent bucks, so take a shotgun and a fishing pole, maybe a .22 for rabbits and also look over some of the cool local history (cowboy, pioneer etc.).

So, I ended up going with option B due to the fact that I think it has a less of a chance of creeping to the point where I won’t draw. I know the antelope densities are going to be less than the other choice but so should the hunter densities. It is also a more rugged and remote area which appeals to me.

I have over a point more than it took last year so we will see what happens.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back