Antelope meat

jmd16us

I had a quick question I got an antelope on the yesterday and won't be able to process it for 3 more days. My question is with the meat in the cooler should I take it out at night and hang it for like an hour so there is air circulation then put it back in. I am keeping water drained and have plenty ice to keep it cool.

I would definitely check it daily, but pulling it out shouldn't be necessary. Just make sure it's not sitting in water.

Keep it as cold as possible. I killed mine in 90 degree weather, gutted it and placed it in the cooler with a the chest cavity filled with ice and the rest of the animal surrounded by ice. Turned out just fine. If you can do as I did and add dry ice which will freeze the real ice and melt water solid. If you don't have dry ice just keep it iced and open the drain plug. You'll be fine.

People will tell you not to let the meat get wet, because it promotes bacteria, but its not an issue if you keep it ice cold. But if you can't keep it ice cold then the moisture is a problem. Last of all. If it turns bad your nose will tell you for sure.

Congratulations.

I have a really big Pelican cooler and regularly “age” game 10+ days in it. Get it chilled fast and keep it cool and dry and you will not have a problem.

Congrats! I'd probably hang it just to make sure it gets a little air circulation, but I've left it in a cooler for a few days and had no issues. Just make sure its cold and not sitting in water like others have said.

Keep cold and dry, as above recommended. It's not venison, so aging does little or nothing to improve. Clean, trim, and cut as soon as possible and you will enjoy fine table fare.

Keep cold and dry, as above recommended. It's not venison, so aging does little or nothing to improve. Clean, trim, and cut as soon as possible and you will enjoy fine table fare.
It IS venison. ALL wild game is venison. If you get any dry ice, DO NOT let it touch the meat, as it will freeze burn the meat. In the cooler, on ice, is a fantastic way to keep it. Just don't let there be much water in the bottom.

It IS venison. ALL wild game is venison.
Historically all wild game was referred to as "venison". However, venison is defined as the meat of animals in the deer family. (whitetail, mule deer, elk, etc) The species most closely related to the pronghorn antelope is the giraffe. Pronghorn antelope is not in the deer family.
BTW, I have taken, processed, and eaten a lot of deer, elk, and pronghorn antelope meat ... and assert that the antelope meat is somewhat different. Hence the remark regarding aging.
However, I completely respect your prerogative to call it what you wish. Just don't argue about it. :D

I think of pronghorn as "the other white meat", sort of a cross between fine grained deer and pork. All of mine have been delicate and tender and I cut most of it for steaks. Our Siamese cats get the shoulders and they prefer it to elk and moose. They'll appreciate it if I bring home a buck next month.

I usually drag pronghorn across the prairie and skin the animal when I get it back to the truck. It goes inside under the topper (out of the sun) and elevated so that air can circulate around the carcass as I drive the 3 hours home. Ice jugs in the cavity help cool it by the time I get it home and quarter--err, six-it, and get it into a cold and empty refrigerator ready to butcher.

Back